• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Summa D160R - Random cutting depth

heyitsme

I'm out of ideas for this problem now after reading other posts here and google, i'm wondering if anyone has any ideas i've missed before i pay someone to come and service the machine or ask the bosses to replace it.

So i still haven't solved the problem where i can't cut a printed graphic with OPOS over about 2m without it drifting off by the end of the print (see my other posts for that joy), now i've got a new one - it started to cut random depths throughout a job now. I've done test after test after test with different knife setings in the Summa software, and on the same job i either end up with the drag knife going through the entire subtrate, or not cutting deep enough and i can't weed the job, its not consistent across the peice of substrate loaded and i've no idea why.

Things i've tried:
- checking knife is physically installed properly (using posts/images from other posts on here)
- checking rollers are in position correctly
- cleaning the cutter in case substrate is catching on old adhesive mess or something
- various different cutting depths in Summa software
- reinstalling the knife, checking for mess inside the holder
- checking screws are tight on belt assemblies
- new drag knife(s)

And today I tried with no improvement:
- new cutting strip
- new knife holder

geNe36

Just Sharing
I'm out of ideas for this problem now after reading other posts here and google, i'm wondering if anyone has any ideas i've missed before i pay someone to come and service the machine or ask the bosses to replace it.

So i still haven't solved the problem where i can't cut a printed graphic with OPOS over about 2m without it drifting off by the end of the print (see my other posts for that joy), now i've got a new one - it started to cut random depths throughout a job now. I've done test after test after test with different knife setings in the Summa software, and on the same job i either end up with the drag knife going through the entire subtrate, or not cutting deep enough and i can't weed the job, its not consistent across the peice of substrate loaded and i've no idea why.

Things i've tried:
- checking knife is physically installed properly (using posts/images from other posts on here)
- checking rollers are in position correctly
- cleaning the cutter in case substrate is catching on old adhesive mess or something
- various different cutting depths in Summa software
- reinstalling the knife, checking for mess inside the holder
- checking screws are tight on belt assemblies
- new drag knife(s)

And today I tried with no improvement:
- new cutting strip
- new knife holder
Uneven cutting depth
When the cutting depth does vary, then check the following:
• Knife holder incorrect in tool clamp: the knife holder has to be put as low as possible in the tool clamp.
• The floor may not be level. Because of this there may be torsion on the machine causing cutting depth to change over the width of the machine.
• Resharpened or non Summa branded knife is used: try a new Summa branded knife.
• Worn knife: replace the knife.
• Coil windings in the cutter head may have come loose. Replace the cutter head.
• Cutter head mounted too high or not perpendicular: check height and perpendicularity with adjustment tool.

1703144238941.png

1703144299321.png

1703144317203.png

• Uneven height of the cutting strip. Due to this, the knife may jump over the bump when the knife has to cut over the width of the media. Remove cutting strip, clean gap for cutting strip, stick new cutting strip.
• The bearings in the cutter head may be worn: replace the cutter head.
• FlexCut has been activated: Deactivate this option.