• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Summa D60 and Mac ?

Jumbo

Hi

i just bought a used Summa D60 , and i would like to use it with my mac .

What are the alternatives besides spending 500$ for Macsign Cut ?

I just wanna Plot straight out of Illustrator if possible.

Any help , tipps or links are much appreciated !!

Thanks

Jumbo

The guys from MacSign told me that my Summa was too old for the "Cut" version and that i need to purchase the Lite version ... Which honestly i think is ridiulous as i am using it as a private person and not to make business with.

any clue where i could get the MacSign Cut version ?

Eyekandiart

I have a similar issue & I am curious if anyone has an answer? I have owned my Summa D60 for probably 10yrs, I use to be a pc user & had pro software readily available, then recently just used Illustrator with Winplot. I have switched over to Mac systems, kept one old pc laptop just for Winplot but would like to just be able to use the Mac/Illustrator combo with something to bridge over to operate the plotter. I don't do much vinyl plotting to justify paying a ton for software. I would think with today tech that there would be some sort or downloadable app. or free bridge software. Any help with this issue would be highly appreciated!

hcardwell93

I have a similar issue & I am curious if anyone has an answer? I have owned my Summa D60 for probably 10yrs, I use to be a pc user & had pro software readily available, then recently just used Illustrator with Winplot. I have switched over to Mac systems, kept one old pc laptop just for Winplot but would like to just be able to use the Mac/Illustrator combo with something to bridge over to operate the plotter. I don't do much vinyl plotting to justify paying a ton for software. I would think with today tech that there would be some sort or downloadable app. or free bridge software. Any help with this issue would be highly appreciated!
I have exhausted this endeavor for my D750 Pro. There is not a cheap way to cut from a Mac to a Summa. I have an HP netbook with Winplot fixed to my plotter and I just use a USB stick to transfer cut files to it. I do a lot of cutting and it works fine for me. If you only do occasional cutting it will work just fine for you.

The only other option is spending about $500 for software.

WildWestDesigns

Since Mac is UNIX-like like Linux, it might be worth a shot.

I know Inkscape will save as HPGL, but there is an extension called InkCut that adds more cutter/plotter functionality to Inkscape as well.

In Linux, I can setup a cutter/plotter without printer drivers as a "printer" to accept that format (usually as raw, so the file doesn't get changed in transmission) and it will cut from Inkscape.

Like I said, since Mac is UNIX-like, it might be worth seeing if you can do that as well.

It might be a hail Mary, but I thought I would mention it.

Eyekandiart

I have exhausted this endeavor for my D750 Pro. There is not a cheap way to cut from a Mac to a Summa. I have an HP netbook with Winplot fixed to my plotter and I just use a USB stick to transfer cut files to it. I do a lot of cutting and it works fine for me. If you only do occasional cutting it will work just fine for you.

The only other option is spending about $500 for software.

Thank you for your reply hcardwell93! Not what I wanted to hear. That is exactly what I currently do but really wanted to just eliminate the windows completely.

depps74

I only use Mac and had same issue. when it was time to upgrade I got a summa. Worst decision I ever made. Machine was awful, but that aside the software was so stupid and impossible to use accurately. It probably doesn't help you much but my advice is get a graphtec. Their plugin for illustrator is genius. You just select what you want to cut, click cut and a production window opens, easy like a desktop printer. You can also tile out accurately and use optical eyes for decal cutting off prints. Its so easy I trained my guys in about 10 minutes how to use it. Not having to go to a separate computer to cut (PC) has saved us hours prob days in production time

summa=shit

Eyekandiart

I know this is an old thread & have not tried it yet but thought I would just throw it out there Incase someone stumbles upon this tread with the same issue. I was not aware that you could run windows operating system as well as Mac OS on the same Mac. Having both installed and being able to choose which one you want to use. Furthermore the windows OS is supposedly available free with my MacBook. So still allowing the use of window based Winplot.

WildWestDesigns

I know this is an old thread & have not tried it yet but thought I would just throw it out there Incase someone stumbles upon this tread with the same issue. I was not aware that you could run windows operating system as well as Mac OS on the same Mac.

Dual booting.

The one thing that you want to be aware of when doing this is that the OS you are trying to dual boot (in this case Windows) has drivers for the Mac hardware. Some newer Macs may or may not support certain Windows versions due to drivers (or maybe due to other restrictions as well).

If you spend a lot of time within an OS that isn't the main one, I would personally suggest running a VM of Windows, that way you can run both OSs at the same time. The downside to that is that it does require shared resources, so you want to make sure that the computer you are running this on has enough resources to run both OSs at the same time. This is my actual preferred method when I do have to do something in Windows that either I'm not efficient in doing in Linux or it can't be done (at least to my knowledge, which this reason is getting less and less the issue).

There are a few other reasons why I like running a VM versus a dual boot option, but the main thing is, your enjoyment/efficiency/whatever you want to call it of doing the VM option is going to depend on how well that computer is setup for VMing. If it isn't setup well, then dual booting may be the better choice.

Having both installed and being able to choose which one you want to use. Furthermore the windows OS is supposedly available free with my MacBook. So still allowing the use of window based Winplot.

That's a new one for me. I've never known a non-OEM install of Windows to be free (even the OEM install ones aren't free, as typically it's subsidized through the installation of all the bloat ware on the computer). Well that's not true, if you had Win 7 Pro or higher, you could get a fully licensed copy of XP to run in a VM on that Win 7 machine for free. But not actually hearing of a free fully licensed copy of Windows for a Mac user.