• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa D60 Better Blade?

splizaat

Hey guys..I'm using the standard summa brand 35 degree blades to cut t-shirt vinyl on my machine lately and it is KILLING my blades like crazy! I don't know what else to do besides try to find a harder blade if they're even offered? Does anyone know of any??

I used to be able to go 1 full year on one blade when I was only cutting oracal sign vinyl, but now I'm going through them almost once every two months or less with cutting a bunch of tshirt vinyl.

-MAtt

Pat Whatley

Clean Cut Blades. I've been absolutely shocked at how long they're lasting cutting reflective vinyl. I don't know if they're harder but they're dang sure sharper out of the box.

splizaat

Pat-- just ordered one to try out. HOpe they do well... :) Thanks! I knew there had to be a company out there offering aftrmarket blades.

jscarl

What Pat said. Also try a piece of cloth dipped in Rapid Remover, to wipe the excess glue off .

jscarl

Another thought. Check your pressure, Might be to hard. Try backing off a few grams of pressure at a time.

splizaat

You know..I've been doing a little research on the Roland GX-24 vs my summa d60 (dont' worry I would NEVER consider a switch - this thing is a WORKHORSE!!!) and the main difference I'm seeing is that the gx-24 uses a 45 degree blade where my summa d60 uses a 35 degree...

I know two people who use a roland gx-24 to cut t-shirt vinyl (easyweed) and have ZERO problems cutting it, but somehow my blade always catches the material and skips...I'm backed the pressure off a ton but still catches in certain spots. Would having "clean cut blade" make me up a 45 degree help out do you think??

hybyza

By the way, have you checked your blade holder bearings? There are 5 small metallic balls inside the metallic part of the blade holder base, excessive pressure and debris make them to be lost from the blade holder, consequently the cutting path is rough and not a new blade will help.

BobM

Clean Cut Blades, 45 degree, WD-40 on the blades shank, new cut strip when I change the blade. Blades last forever. I cut mostly Oracal 751 but do reflective and Spectra Eco-Film.

splizaat

Just swapped out my cut strip...first time in 4 years :) whoooops!

New blade will HOPEFULLY be here today although it's a 35 not a 45 :( and I am definitely going to try out the wd40 trick.

splizaat

I got the blade yesterday but I will say -- I already swapped out my cut strip (for the first time in 4.5 years -- WHOOPPPS) and the oem summa blade that I thought was dull has magically come back to life. I will wait till this blade is completely dead to swap it with my new clean cut blade ad let you know my first impressions.

UNTIL THEN....CHECK YOUR CUT STRIPS! :) BEST $24 I've ever spent!