• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa DC4sx Media

silverpoebandit

i am interested in purchasing this machine.

I have seen that it does a good job contour cutting vinyl. Does it have the capabilities to cut other media? Mostly i'm searching to see if it would cut magnetic rolls. 12 mil DigiMag or something of the sort.

any help?

Jim Doggett

No magnetics. It sticks to the machine, which has much metal. For magnetics, it's still best to print on vinyl and then apply to the mag.

Gerber EDGE is good for the smaller fridge-mag biz. They have a thinner EDGE-ready mag material. Plus, less metal on an EDGE and it's tractor-feed.

But I'd again advance the idea of print then apply onto mag. Then you don't need to skimp on the mag mil / holding power. Plus vinyl is cheap, comparitively. So border waste goes to the vinyl and the mag can be used more frugally.

My $0.02,

PGSigns

When I do mags I just print the file first and apply the print to the mag material. The DC4SX is a lot of steel and mags stick to it well.
Jimmy
Welcome to signs 101
:Welcome:

Signalaugh

Not recommended

It is not recommended to print directly on magnet. You risk damaging the head. Besides the magnet material itself is not a very flat surface and you won't get real great coverage.

As far as cutting the material, you can score it. Once again you have to place material between the magent and metal parts on the machine.

Print on vinyl first. Buy black magnet (no vinyl). Apply vinyl to magnet. Use a cutter that is tough enough to handle the weight. You may need another pinch roller. A good Summa with opus or good graphtec should do the job. Don't forget to use a vinyl that is opague enough that the darkness of your magnet won't bleed through the image.

Jim Doggett

It is not recommended to print directly on magnet. You risk damaging the head. Besides the magnet material itself is not a very flat surface and you won't get real great coverage.

As far as cutting the material, you can score it. Once again you have to place material between the magent and metal parts on the machine.

Print on vinyl first. Buy black magnet (no vinyl). Apply vinyl to magnet. Use a cutter that is tough enough to handle the weight. You may need another pinch roller. A good Summa with opus or good graphtec should do the job. Don't forget to use a vinyl that is opague enough that the darkness of your magnet won't bleed through the image.

:toasting: Great advice. Scoring is the way to go, or so I seem to recall when I was with Summa. One other caveat is having lots of blades; mag can eat them alive. Is that your experience also?

Best,