• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa F1612 vs Colex SXC1717

VTSigns

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a flatbed cutter. I've narrowed it down to the Summa F1612 and the Colex SXC1717. The price point for both is within $5k of each other. They both offer basically the same capabilities from my understanding. The Summa requires 3 phase power which I don't have so a phase converter will be needed. The maximum material thickness for the Summa is 1" while the Colex is 4". The Summa size is 63"x47" where the Colex is 67"x67". The Summa is about 1200 lbs and the Colex is closer to 3000 lbs. I'm looking for any feedback from users of either machine or those who have had a similar decision and how they made their decision. I will say that this will be our first flatbed cutter and we are looking to get our feet wet at the moment and aren't looking to jump to a Zund or Esko at this point. Any input would be appreciated.

CanuckSigns

We just got a f1612 last week, so far it's been great! What applications are you looking to do with it?

Also, just so you know, the summa has a working area of 63" x unlimited length as it uses a conveyor belt, not sure what the colex has as I didn't look at them.

VTSigns

We just got a f1612 last week, so far it's been great! What applications are you looking to do with it?

Also, just so you know, the summa has a working area of 63" x unlimited length as it uses a conveyor belt, not sure what the colex has as I didn't look at them.

Glad to hear you are liking yours. I have a large project that is solely cutting 6mil coro shapes. I will be printing on 4x8's and cutting on the flatbed. Outside of this project I want to be able to cut coro, pvc, polystyrene, acm, acrylic and roll substrates like adhesive vinyl, etc.

Yes, I guess I meant that size is the table size or cutting size. Both machines are conveyor and in theory have unlimited length.

CanuckSigns

Is footprint a concern? It is for us and we really like the summas small footprint. The goproduce software is really super user friendly as well.

HulkSmash

I have a F1612. It's okay. its super entry. Does a good job however. I think mines is a lemon and i've had issues with it.. Make sure you buy it from a supplier who is willing to actually cover warranties, without a boxing match.

good luck

ProColorGraphics

I too have the F1612. I have zero complaints with mine! The only thing I wish they would change is software related (open up more options with the router, which I am told should be available soon!) I have most of the tools for it as well. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

FatCat

We've had our 1612 for almost exactly a year. I honestly can't imagine life without it now, it's such a great little machine. The interface is fairly simple, you can create your own custom cut settings for whatever material and whatever tools and have it ready anytime if you do a lot of repeat type jobs. I do wish the bed was a little longer which would help with longer boards and rolls, but it's not really a problem. Maybe I'll upgrade to a larger one down the road as I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, plus with Summa's reputation and as many units they seem to be placing should be a solid platform with lots of life and potential upgrades down the road.

greysquirrel

if you are planning to use the router a lot avoid the Summa. Its merely a dremil. Te coro knife on the colex is fantastic as well. Summa can cut coro a little jaggy. Tech support from Colex is far superior to Summa. The boys at Summa know their sh$t as long as you can get one of them on the phone. I think the Summa's camera shines but having to remove two modules to install a router is a pain in the rear. Their vacuum is far superior than the Summa, the Colex is quieter(if you are in a tight space) The 3hp router on acrylic is amazing from colex...Just look at the construction of their tables...colex again wins. Oh and ask Summa about the EOT. They recommend you buy 2...at 3K ea!!! The motors over time will need to be rebuilt...Summa can do it but can take up to a month...Colex has an over nite repair service for these....
Do yourself a favor, take a trip to NJ to Colex's manufacturing facility and demo room.

VTSigns

At the time I posted this I was only considering the Summa or Colex but at the last minute changed and went with an Esko X24 with conveyor. I was able to get a demo X24 (like new) for just under $90k. It's been amazing so far. I'm very pleased with my purchase. I've never run or seen the Summa or Colex in person but from what I've heard Esko and Zund are in a whole different league.

greysquirrel

The HF router is typically another 12-15K. Still requires a polishing bit on acrylic where the clex doe not for finished gloss edges

I was chasing between the Esko and Colex....Esko is a fantastic product. I actually like their tooling better and loved their software. At the end of the day, single phase power and 2" media won out for me. I was also able to have routing of smaller pieces without bridges perform better on the Colex. But it was very close. I think if the unit was not 3 phase, I would have ended up there.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Still requires a polishing bit on acrylic where the clex doe not for finished gloss edges

Can you elaborate on this a bit? We've got a Summa F1612 w/ standard router option and trying to perfect our edges on acrylic. Definitely a learning experience.

Thanks.

Print1

Tech for your cutter, printer & logistics needs
I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a flatbed cutter. I've narrowed it down to the Summa F1612 and the Colex SXC1717. The price point for both is within $5k of each other. They both offer basically the same capabilities from my understanding. The Summa requires 3 phase power which I don't have so a phase converter will be needed. The maximum material thickness for the Summa is 1" while the Colex is 4". The Summa size is 63"x47" where the Colex is 67"x67". The Summa is about 1200 lbs and the Colex is closer to 3000 lbs. I'm looking for any feedback from users of either machine or those who have had a similar decision and how they made their decision. I will say that this will be our first flatbed cutter and we are looking to get our feet wet at the moment and aren't looking to jump to a Zund or Esko at this point. Any input would be appreciated.
Colex 5x5 or 5x10 are fantastic, Easy to use and the curb weight on the colex 5x5 is 2200, the bigger table is 3300. You can do a webinar with us to see the benefits of both.