• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa or Graphtec

Cooper E

Fall Protection Signs and Safety
Right now we have a Summa D140 we need a second plotter which I was going to buy a second D140 but I have a dealer that wants cut us a deal to replace the Summa with two Graphtec 8600.

I've not used and Graphtec plotters and I want to know how they compare by to Summa from people who have used both. We do a lot a tight registration border labels with a 1/16" rule that needs to match up with another label with the same border rule or have to match screw head cutouts on the product. We produce around 6000 labels per month for 300 different product lines. Material usage is a major factor as well. We print strictly 54" wide media and our standard print with is 52.5" for maximum material usage.

With cost is not a factor what would you choose given both options?

Asuma01

I've used both. Summa cutters are better by a mile. They track better, scan registration marks better, and depending on the model you get have tangential cutting which makes them much more accurate then your standard drag and cut type cutter.

particleman

Stay with the Summa, I have the same one you do and it is a great plotter. It only gets better when you move up the product line as others have said. All 3 Graphtec plotters I have used in the past for print and cut aren't even in the same league.

Andy D

I used to swear by Graphtec, but I bought two awhile back, they were cheaply made & we
had issues with the led screen.

burgmurk

Hi we carry both and the Graphtec is the #1 choice of professionals. We have never had a single call back with the Graphtec units. Check us out, I can give you the best possible pricing on 2 graphtec 8600's if you like? thx Plottermaster

That was hilarious. A whole bunch of professionals posting "get the summa", then a salesman turns up and says "Graphtec is the #1 choice of professionals" :D:D:D

How does Roland compare to these two, why don't you even take them in consideration? Or Mimaki, GCC? I'm just curious.

doublesigndude

I've bought & used several Summa T Series, the only way to go. Inherited a Graphtec, came with a purchase of a smaller company. It's like riding your little sister's bike, banana seat & all. It'll get you there but the you wish you had a big boy bike. Just my opinion.

depps74

Grahptec. I have used both. Summa sent me a lemon. It did not cut, it did not track, it was the worst machine I have ever bought in my 20+ years doing this. The Mac software is a joke, and God help you if you get a lemon cause their customer service basically does care to give you back 20% of the cost of the machine for a "re-stocking" fee. I got a lemon so yes I am bitter to Summa but I do think their customer service could have handled my issue much better. Also Summa is not summa, it is owned by another larger faceless corp so they have less incentive to care about customer service. I use my Graphtec for all sorts of registration cuts, stickers, labels, pictures etc... It is fantastic. The tracking amazing! The cutting amazing and cheaper. Customer service from Graphtec is 100% awesome!

Robert Gruner

Depps74: You know, there is an old saying, "You CAN please SOME folks ALL the time, or you CAN please ALL of the folks SOME of the time, but, you CAN'T please ALL of the folks ALL of the time!"

Most of the time, the Summa S Series roll cutter (especially the tangential knife roll cutter) are the best and highest performance vinyl cutters for sale.

To clear up some confusion concerning Summa.

Summa, Inc. was in business from the early 2000's through August 2017. On August 01, 2016, Summa, Inc. was acquired by a Belgium Investment firm where their cutters are built. On August 01, 2017, Summa, Inc. ceased operation and was replaced by Summa America.

MacSign is simply a "bridge sofware" to allow Mac users to communicate with the cutter. If you have been around cutters since they emerged into the market with PC's. Cutters in most all sign shops are driven by PC's. Big difference in flexibility.

Do you still own your Summa cutter? What model was it?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Friction feed is friction feed be it Summa, Graphtec, or whatever. Cutting accuracy, which is really repeatability, is when the blade gets back to exactly its starting point. It can't be any more accurate than that. Contour cutting accuracy is when the sensor to blade distance is set perfectly, that's up to you to set properly. Summa's tangential cutting mechanism is just something else to break. The only time iit's superior to a drag knife is when cutting tiny text that most normal beings don't do.

For the purposes originally described it's Ford vs Chevrolet. Mostly a matter of personal prejudice.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Friction feed is friction feed be it Summa, Graphtec, or whatever. Cutting accuracy, which is really repeatability, is when the blade gets back to exactly its starting point. It can't be any more accurate than that. Contour cutting accuracy is when the sensor to blade distance is set perfectly, that's up to you to set properly. Summa's tangential cutting mechanism is just something else to break. The only time iit's superior to a drag knife is when cutting tiny text that most normal beings don't do.

For the purposes originally described it's Ford vs Chevrolet. Mostly a matter of personal prejudice.

Or thick vinyl, or reflective, or magnet, etc.

Also the summa opos sensor is far superior to graphtecs and the opos cam is even better.

bob

Or thick vinyl, or reflective, or magnet, etc.

Or what? Only a deranged individual cuts, scores really, magnetic media on a vinyl plotter. Doing that sort of thing is just getting away with it.

Also the summa opos sensor is far superior to graphtecs and the opos cam is even better.

Do you have actual data or is this merely your opinion? Please demonstrate that the Summa is superior in some meaningful way. No anecdotes, data.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Or what? Only a deranged individual cuts, scores really, magnetic media on a vinyl plotter. Doing that sort of thing is just getting away with it.

Do you have actual data or is this merely your opinion? Please demonstrate that the Summa is superior in some meaningful way. No anecdotes, data.
Yes, from actual use. With the summa white light sensor we never have issues with any media we use including thick glossy lam, colored media, reflective, and textured. When we had graphtecs we constantly were having to find tricks to get the marks to read like redrawing marks with a sharpie, matting the area above the sensor, or using yellow filters on colored media.

As for your comment on magnetic, we used to do it all the time with our roller tables on the in and out and the summa worked like a champ. You discount it as part of your argument but it is a major benefit over the Graphtec.

bob

Yes, from actual use. With the summa white light sensor we never have issues with any media we use including thick glossy lam, colored media, reflective, and textured. When we had graphtecs we constantly were having to find tricks to get the marks to read like redrawing marks with a sharpie, matting the area above the sensor, or using yellow filters on colored media.

As for your comment on magnetic, we used to do it all the time with our roller tables on the in and out and the summa worked like a champ. You discount it as part of your argument but it is a major benefit over the Graphtec.

Then you have no data, only anecdotes.

Moreover, regardless of your success cutting magnetic media, it remains a bad idea to overburden a transport mechanism designed to move vinyl.