• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

summa plotter d-series with non usb connection?

hi, i´m curious, if someone use summa plotter d-series with non usb connection?
i got an older d60 a while ago, and wish to know something more about cutting, and connection between pc and plotter,
because working with this "antique" is a bit different, than with the modern one :)
thanks!
graphic1e.jpg

Last edited:

hi, i don´t understand your answer.
the plotter is connected with parallel cable, i usually cut with winplot via ltp port,
but there is not real mutual communication between them.
wincut is better, but there is no option for ltp port.
once i used 9 pin serial plug from plotter to standart serial plug ( to pc) without success.
the best would be parallel to usb, but it´s for a long run :)
it´s has been trying to solved this problem on many forums, but never heard positive answer.

Last edited:

John Butto

keyspan

I use a d750 Summa that has the serial adapter and then that plugs into a Keyspan adapter that has a usb connecter that goes to the computer which then uses Signcut as the software. In other words the thingamagigy goes to the whatcamacallit and that goes in there.

jscarl

Count the number of pins in the plug connection. Go to Best Buy and tell them the problem. Most cords will sell around $12 / $15.00. This will convert from usb to port plug.

3dsignco

Run 2 of them all day with the serial Cable 9 Pin. Connect to your computers Serial port. Direct your software to com 1 or com 2 (These are not LPT ports) and and fire away.. We use signlab so it always finds it.

Some older models used a serial cable that was called a NULL modem cable but those were usually a 24 pin setup.

Also some newer computers no longer use serial connectors so you may have to get an add in card.

hi,
thanks alot for your practical advices.
glad to hear, old machines keep working :)
what about summa cutter control?
does it work with your computers?
cheers!

ColesCreations

Hi.

The cutter has both serial and parallell ports.

Winplot works great, download from Summausa.com

If your computer does not have the correct port, buy a hub or a card.

Also download the manual from the same site, you will find useful info about specs on the cable. Not necessarily a standard com-cable.

It is a great machine, will last longer than all others.

Are you able to run test cuts etc on it, using the buttons on the cutter itself?

Good luck!

Jim Doggett

hi, i´ve tried a 9-pin serial cable without success.

Summa has a custom pin-out. You should order a serial cable from them at www.summastore.com.

Cutter Control will work once the cutter is properly connected and initialized (vinyl ... even just a scrap ... and rollers-down). Essentially, Cutter Control reads and communicates back the internal settings of the cutter. (that's why it has to be on and booted-up)

Cutter Control also has a utility for upgrading to the latest firmware, which you can download for free from the support section of www.summausa.com. Then your "antique" will perform like a new model.

Best,

Jim

Jim Doggett

Oops, you're in Europe. Go to www.summa.be or contact the Gistel, Belgium division. Also, there are many dealers thoughtout Europe that can sell you a Summa serial cable. Or if a cable maker is in your town, Summa can tell them the correct pin-out.

Best,

Jim