• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S2 Cutting Sheets...

KeithMan

We bought a Summa S2T cutter over a year ago, but never had any training, we just figured it out and read the manual. We mainly use it to cut vinyl, but wondered if it could help us cut down posters. We have Onyx Thrive and I am wondering if we could have it feed a roll of material through and do horizontal cuts for us. For example, we run posters and want it to cut across the sheet at the bottom of each poster, essentially sheeting the roll.

Is this possible? It would save us a lot of hand cutting.

FrankW

You will find a sheet cut function by pressing the „Actions“-button.

But: this will set a number of horizontal cuts in a set distance. There is no possibility to set marks to let the cutter recognize on the print where to cut.

soggywinter

My team has successfully cut Briteline 9mm poster paper with our S2T's tangential knife. The trick is to to experiment with cut depth like you would "die" cutting stickers so that there is just enough backing to hold together, but pop apart when flexed. You'll need to allow adequate spacing between panels when doing this. Also be sure to use the takeup reel to avoid media buckling and crashes.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
My team has successfully cut Briteline 9mm poster paper with our S2T's tangential knife. The trick is to to experiment with cut depth like you would "die" cutting stickers so that there is just enough backing to hold together, but pop apart when flexed. You'll need to allow adequate spacing between panels when doing this. Also be sure to use the takeup reel to avoid media buckling and crashes.
"Has successfully" does This mean you do it all the time, and its a viable solution? I've experimented with "dream" production solutions, but, while it can be done, I've found that it can, but not always, for every situation... And it doesn't turn out to be as simple and/or time saving as we hoped/expected.
Have not, would not try posters, through cutting on this machine.
My experience was perf cutting thousand's of labels. Nailed it to perfect, but after a while, we found it faster to cut them by hand and keep our quality standards with the finished product consistency

soggywinter

"Has successfully" does This mean you do it all the time, and its a viable solution? I've experimented with "dream" production solutions, but, while it can be done, I've found that it can, but not always, for every situation... And it doesn't turn out to be as simple and/or time saving as we hoped/expected.
Have not, would not try posters, through cutting on this machine.
My experience was perf cutting thousand's of labels. Nailed it to perfect, but after a while, we found it faster to cut them by hand and keep our quality standards with the finished product consistency
We're still at the testing stage and have done a few dozen posters. I'm bidding a job for 1300 posters that I'm planning to cut with this process. A flatbed cutter would be a better tool, but we don't have one. Yet.

KeithMan

Interesting. Have you ever tried using flexcut?