• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S2 T160 rough edge cuts

I'm using the 45degree tangential blade. I have followed the directions on blade depth and pressure. The speed is 12ips. I'm getting a really small rough edge look on cuts on laminated cast and calendared vinyls, even with a brand new blade. I have cleaned the roller thing right where the blade sticks out also. Does anyone know what could be causing this besides a dull or dirty blade or incorrect blade depth? We've had this machine for years and this issue is a few weeks old. It cuts through, it just seems like the vinyl is kind of sticking to the blade and getting dragged a bit.

Attachments

• 20231026_141944.jpg
    20231026_141944.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 156

Saturn

Aging Member
The blade might be loose or broken. It could also be the Origin is way off, causing that sawthooth or chatter look as it tries to cut straight even though it's not aligned straight along it's own cut. My money unfortunately is on it being chipped, if you regularly run it and haven't seen this recently.

I often promote getting a cheap little Amazon microscope to check the blade anytime you have major issues. Especially if you're using OEM blades and are hesitant to immediately throw cheap blades at it.

Attaching photo of a new blade, a used blade that still works great, and a chipped blade that happened almost immediately after putting on. Sadly more common than anyone would like, and I think a lot of the frustration for new users who end up chasing all sorts of other possible solutions first.

Blade_BrandNewTip.png Blade_GoodWornInTip.png Blade_ChippedImmediatelyTip.png

How large is the letter "E" there?

The blade might be loose or broken. It could also be the Origin is way off, causing that sawthooth or chatter look as it tries to cut straight even though it's not aligned straight along it's own cut. My money unfortunately is on it being chipped, if you regularly run it and haven't seen this recently.

I often promote getting a cheap little Amazon microscope to check the blade anytime you have major issues. Especially if you're using OEM blades and are hesitant to immediately throw cheap blades at it.

Attaching photo of a new blade, a used blade that still works great, and a chipped blade that happened almost immediately after putting on. Sadly more common than anyone would like, and I think a lot of the frustration for new users who end up chasing all sorts of other possible solutions first.

View attachment 168019 View attachment 168021 View attachment 168020

How large is the letter "E" there?
what might cause a new blade to chip immediately?

Saturn

Aging Member
Anything. Sadly they're super delicate. That's why I suggest a cheap microscope, because I think most people can't believe that the blades are really that prone to breaking. It's why a lot of the Graphtec folks are buying $1 blades bulk from China. I have yet to find great Tangential aftermarket blades, especially as 45°.

I haven't kept track, but I'd guess around 10-20% of my new blades break before they should... Meaning in the first couple hours or days. Tough pill when they're ~$60 each.

Saturn

Aging Member
When I had a summa t series, over 10% of blades would chip immediatley
Yeah, I usually get about 4-6 weeks out of one if it doesn't chip the first few days. That first week I'm holding my breath.

There was another thread that someone mentioned they thought OEM blades are generally harder than the China ones—So they stayed sharper longer, but were more brittle and prone to chip. Versus dulling quicker, but without chipping as often.

Wish Summa offered a bulk discount at the very least...

cornholio

Do a blade setting with offset, lateral and longitudinal. If the offset is off, it can chip the blade immediately. (Offset for tang. blades is not the same, as for drag blades. If it's off, the blade gets pushed through the medium at an angle. (Could happen if the small timing belt in the head jumped a tooth...)

The blade origin calibration was the issue. Also, under magnification, I could see the blade was visibly damaged even though it was new. I assume the damaged tip happened because the incorrect origin calibration resulted in the blade being dragged at an angle. Thank you everyone.

Jburns

glad you got it sorted. 12 inches per second sounds like haulin *ss. How big is the text you are cutting?

cornholio

The blade origin calibration was the issue. Also, under magnification, I could see the blade was visibly damaged even though it was new. I assume the damaged tip happened because the incorrect origin calibration resulted in the blade being dragged at an angle. Thank you everyone.
Ah yes, it's called origin of course, not offset as I stated...