• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S3 OPOS CAM + Onyx Thrive

Jetpack Stickers & Labels

Hi! Wondering if anyone has a shortcut or some help to share.

Just got a new Summa S3 TC160 installed. What a beast! Also just learning Onyx Thrive, coming from Flexi.

We make tons and tons of stickers in ~3 ft. panels, about 100 stickers per panel. We have another Summa (S-One) that has been a workhorse, just needed more capacity and was attracted to faster barcode and registration mark reading.

Here's my issue - I can't seem to get the OPOS XY to work. I can get the barcode printed and the cutter reads it and the intermediate marks along the side, but I would really like to be able to use the XY function (camera takes measurements along the line) to keep the cuts accurate and compensate for any bowing in the panel. Our S-One does this all day (via Flexi).

Also, I can't seem to get Onyx to set the parameters on the cutter (force and velocity). Whatever is on the machine panel is how it cuts. I have it set to override the machine, but... it doesn't.

Lastly, I can't seem to get the "cut off media" function to work after a panel is cut with the tangential head. I'd really like it to cut off the sheet when it's done.

Grimco did the install, and did a great job with the cutter and a second printer, but I didn't notice these deficits till today when trying on my own. We had Onyx support logged in earlier to answer a couple other questions, and I'm sure I can go that route to get these problems sorted, but was just curious if anyone here has already solved them. Also, this forum is such a great resource and bank of knowledge, I figured someone else will probably have these same issues as the S3 continues to roll out, and maybe the help I (hopefully) receive here will be beneficial to the next person doing a search.

Cheers, and thanks in advance for any help/advice!

Dale D

Have ypu tried to run Flexi to your new S3? Eliminate if the issue is Onyx or the plotter. I'm not familiar with Onyx to know if it's capable of doing what Flexi does. I'm following as I'm looking for an alternative to Flexi myself.

Have ypu tried to run Flexi to your new S3? Eliminate if the issue is Onyx or the plotter. I'm not familiar with Onyx to know if it's capable of doing what Flexi does. I'm following as I'm looking for an alternative to Flexi myself.
Just upgraded Flexi to Flexi Complete today, and after a couple minor technical issues, Boom! Everything works perfectly! No special install, no Summa cutter control, just Flexi barcode server. The S3 with cam is ridiculously fast and accurate. Happy camper now!

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
Why would you want to change the settings on the machine, You have to set up and test material on the machine. I have never used the software to change the settings.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
There are no issues.
Ask your dealer, they should have set it up for you and shown you where the settings are.
All of the local dealers do this for you

Why would you want to change the settings on the machine, You have to set up and test material on the machine. I have never used the software to change the settings.
Because we run hundreds of ~3 ft. panels of stickers, and depending on the shape, we run the cutter at different speeds. We load a full roll of material, and the cutter goes from job to job. An operator just removes the cut sheets. So much easier to set those parameters at the RIP.

Update - for our workflow, Flexi Complete is working perfectly! So much faster for what we do. And it's controlling the cutter exactly how I'd expect.

Also, have I mentioned what a beast the S3 is? O...M..G... In love!!

rk3487

Hi! Wondering if anyone has a shortcut or some help to share.

Just got a new Summa S3 TC160 installed. What a beast! Also just learning Onyx Thrive, coming from Flexi.

We make tons and tons of stickers in ~3 ft. panels, about 100 stickers per panel. We have another Summa (S-One) that has been a workhorse, just needed more capacity and was attracted to faster barcode and registration mark reading.

Here's my issue - I can't seem to get the OPOS XY to work. I can get the barcode printed and the cutter reads it and the intermediate marks along the side, but I would really like to be able to use the XY function (camera takes measurements along the line) to keep the cuts accurate and compensate for any bowing in the panel. Our S-One does this all day (via Flexi).

Also, I can't seem to get Onyx to set the parameters on the cutter (force and velocity). Whatever is on the machine panel is how it cuts. I have it set to override the machine, but... it doesn't.

Lastly, I can't seem to get the "cut off media" function to work after a panel is cut with the tangential head. I'd really like it to cut off the sheet when it's done.

Grimco did the install, and did a great job with the cutter and a second printer, but I didn't notice these deficits till today when trying on my own. We had Onyx support logged in earlier to answer a couple other questions, and I'm sure I can go that route to get these problems sorted, but was just curious if anyone here has already solved them. Also, this forum is such a great resource and bank of knowledge, I figured someone else will probably have these same issues as the S3 continues to roll out, and maybe the help I (hopefully) receive here will be beneficial to the next person doing a search.

Cheers, and thanks in advance for any help/advice!
Have 2 summa s2 and it’s onyx and they know about it. Been working on it for over year so would not hold my breath. If you need xy or xy2 cutting go to flexi works fine.

Have 2 summa s2 and it’s onyx and they know about it. Been working on it for over year so would not hold my breath. If you need xy or xy2 cutting go to flexi works fine.
For what we do, Flexi has been running like a champ with the new machines. I gave up on Onyx. Even if I could get the cutter to take the instructions from Onyx, it is so much faster to set up tons of jobs in Flexi and let 'em rip (literally rip... ha!).

The other thing that I didn't realize would be a problem was using native Illustrator files in Onyx. We'll often have multiple sticker designs in the same Illustrator file (same file we use to export a PDF for customer proofs). I just grab the sticker I want from the Illustrator file and can quickly make a layout in Flexi, then do the same with the 2nd, 3rd, etc... sticker from the same file.

I'll be converting my trial version of Flexi Complete to the paid version, and making dinner at home for a long time to recover the $$ I spent on Onyx Thrive. I'm sure Onyx is great for a lot of applications, but... not for us.