• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Summa tangenrial preesure

floater302

Im trying to get the downforce (pressure) to 400 but it seems to not increase the pressure at all. anyone know of any setting or fix for this issue?

jriley

I don't know anything about Summa, but with cutters in general, the first thing you look at is, I know it sounds silly, but is the bladeholder installed properly? Secondly, have you checked the extension of the blade? If you peel your media away from the backing and compare your extended blade to it, it should only be extended the width of the media (not the media + backing). If you need to crank up the force insanely high, it's usually because you're using the wrong blade, wrong bladeholder, or wrong blade extension for the media you're cutting. Beyond that, most of these cutters I've seen have teflon cutting strips. If they're worn out, the media can sink into the trough in the cutting strip (causing inaccurate cuts) and causing you to increase the force (which further degrades the strip and puts more wear on your motor). Check that out too.

Also, make sure the down force isn't being overwritten by the software you're using. Sometimes folks will accidentally check a box on their software and not realize what they did. You can set the force on your plotter all day, but if the software is overwriting it, you won't get anyway.

Beyond that it could be a solenoid issue, or a cable issue going from the penblock to the main board. You may need a tech to come onsite and start swapping parts out.

edit: also, make sure you have the latest firmware installed. If all else fails, do a factory reset.

floater302

I don't know anything about Summa, but with cutters in general, the first thing you look at is, I know it sounds silly, but is the bladeholder installed properly? Secondly, have you checked the extension of the blade? If you peel your media away from the backing and compare your extended blade to it, it should only be extended the width of the media (not the media + backing). If you need to crank up the force insanely high, it's usually because you're using the wrong blade, wrong bladeholder, or wrong blade extension for the media you're cutting. Beyond that, most of these cutters I've seen have teflon cutting strips. If they're worn out, the media can sink into the trough in the cutting strip (causing inaccurate cuts) and causing you to increase the force (which further degrades the strip and puts more wear on your motor). Check that out too.

Also, make sure the down force isn't being overwritten by the software you're using. Sometimes folks will accidentally check a box on their software and not realize what they did. You can set the force on your plotter all day, but if the software is overwriting it, you won't get anyway.

Beyond that it could be a solenoid issue, or a cable issue going from the penblock to the main board. You may need a tech to come onsite and start swapping parts out.

edit: also, make sure you have the latest firmware installed. If all else fails, do a factory reset.
Its installed properly, ive checked the software to make sure its not conflicting, ive even reset the cutter to factory setting.