• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summasign T750 connection issues

idstumped

I recently purchased a cheap T750 and I am starting to realize why it was only $50. I am having extreme difficulty getting connected to a computer. I purchase a Tripp Lite keyspan usb adapter, downloaded all software and drivers off of the Summa site, adjusted all connectivity variables (com port, baud rate, etc) many different ways on machine and in software but machine never connects to computer. The T750 does the din test perfect but just doesn't connect.

Any suggestion is welcome, hoping I just overlooked something.

Thanks

FrankW

If the adaptor is correctly installed and configured, a wrong cable could be the problem. Be shure to use a null modem cable (original summa is one). A lot of „serial cables“ on the market are just extensions, they will not work.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
When you installed the Keyspan RS232 adapter, did it include an installation disc for the adapter? If not, that is likely your issue. The driver you need is for the adapter itself, not the Summa USB driver. If you did install the driver for the adapter, and you've already tried multiple USB ports on the computer, it's possible the cable is bad like Frank suggested or the mainboard itself could be defective. If this ends up being a mainboard issue then there are no longer replacement mainboards available for the old SummaSign machines so you would either need to try and find a used one somewhere or get a replacement machine like a new S2T75.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything else that I can do to help ou.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com

idstumped

If the adaptor is correctly installed and configured, a wrong cable could be the problem. Be shure to use a null modem cable (original summa is one). A lot of „serial cables“ on the market are just extensions, they will not work.
I am using a Tripp Lite keyspan usb Serial Adapter. I also tried a parallel to usb adapter. I may buy a null modem cable to try as my laptop has a serial port.

idstumped

When you installed the Keyspan RS232 adapter, did it include an installation disc for the adapter? If not, that is likely your issue. The driver you need is for the adapter itself, not the Summa USB driver. If you did install the driver for the adapter, and you've already tried multiple USB ports on the computer, it's possible the cable is bad like Frank suggested or the mainboard itself could be defective. If this ends up being a mainboard issue then there are no longer replacement mainboards available for the old SummaSign machines so you would either need to try and find a used one somewhere or get a replacement machine like a new S2T75.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything else that I can do to help ou.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com
When I installed the Keyspan adapter, I also installed the drivers that accompanied it that were on a cd. I also went to the Tripp-lite site and downloaded the drivers for windows 10 and installed them. The laptop detects the adapter when plugged into a usb port and the keyspan adapter is listed in the device manager. From there I can view its com port number or even change it if needed. I matched that com port with the T750 and also cutter control.
Not sure if it matters, I have a gender changer also plugged in because both the keyspan adapter and the T750 are male plugs.

jerry369

I am using a Tripp Lite keyspan usb Serial Adapter.
You need a serial cable to connect your plotter to the keyspan adapter. This cable must be an original Summa serial cable, or a crossover (otherwise called Null Modem) cable.
Right configuration:
Summa->serial cable->keyspan adapter->PC

FrankW

I have a gender changer also plugged in because both the keyspan adapter and the T750 are male plugs.
If you need a gender changer, you shurely have a wrong cable. Is it correct that your cable have male on one side, female on the other? Then you have a simple serial cable extension, which is wired 1:1. The summa cable and standard null modem cables are F:F .

idstumped

You need a serial cable to connect your plotter to the keyspan adapter. This cable must be an original Summa serial cable, or a crossover (otherwise called Null Modem) cable.
Right configuration:
Summa->serial cable->keyspan adapter->PC
Took me awhile but I figured out what you mean. The problem I may be having is I omitted the Null Modem cable and plugged the keyspan adapter directly to the machine using a gender changer. I need the null modem cable to create the crossover which the keyspan adapter does not do. The null modem cable is female/female and would replace the gender changer. Does that sound correct?
This is the keyspan adapter I am using. I will purchase a null modem cable next and use both together.
usa19hs-other02-l.jpg

idstumped

If you need a gender changer, you shurely have a wrong cable. Is it correct that your cable have male on one side, female on the other? Then you have a simple serial cable extension, which is wired 1:1. The summa cable and standard null modem cables are F:F .
jerry369 pointed out that I need a null modem cable in conjunction with my keyspan adapter. The keyspan adapter is male and the Summa T750 is male so I used a gender changer to plug the keyspan directly to the machine. Apparently I still need the null modem cable to make the crossover because the gender changer and the keyspan do not create a crossover connection. Does this sound correct?