• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Swapping Sublimation ink to encapsulated pigments inks - Risky ?

Hello,
I'm not really into the sign business but more into large format fineart. I would like to buy a larger than 64in printer (It could be a Sublimation printer with Epson or Panasonic Heads) and convert it with aqueous pigments inks (Like Canon/EPSON inks used for fineart printers.)
The vendor tells me that it might be risky. He suggest the normal procédure is tu flush the head (currently used with sublimation ink) with sublimation cleaner, then use another cleaner that is used for pigments inks, then fill it up with pigment inks.
Anyone has experience in flushing a panasonic heads (on a Mimaki or other brand) and swapping ink ?
The supplier mention that during the flushing process, some pressure could damage the heads (20% chances of clogging a head)
Anyone could point to a liquid that would be compatible with aqueous pigments inks ?
Thanks !

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
I've never swapped to pigmented inks but flushing sublimation ink isn't too hard to do but you do want to have a good amount of patience and at least some technical abilities to trouble shoot issue. The process you mentioned is pretty much it. Flush with sublimation flushing/cleaning liquid (possibly a bunch of warm water as well if it's hard to get the lines really clean), then prime the lines with a compatible pigment ink cleaner and follow up with pigment ink. You'll need to replace all the dampers and capping station as well.

Most mimaki's use Epson heads from my experience and they can be delicate. It's hard to explain but you do need to be careful with how much pressure you use or you'll blow the internal seal on the head. Most people use a syringe to manually draw ink through the system but you can also use the maintenance menu to do ink fill ups and that might be safer.

I'm assuming that you're buying the printer second hand as otherwise it seems to me it would just be cheaper to buy a new printer with the correct ink set. Do you already have a plan for the RIP?

cornholio

Maybe a distilled water flush, between the two cleaning solutions...
There is always a risk, when doing such things.