• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Switched to Mac

WildWestDesigns

APPs through iTunes Store is different then software running on you Mac. Macs will handle graphics better than a PC in terms of processing 4K video, large Photoshop files etc...
Technically speaking Macs are PCs. Very creative marketing from Apple and it worked. As to rather or not it will handle graphics, larger files better, it depends on the specs of the computers. My Thinkstation will run circles around the iMac that I have (still have it, but it runs elementaryOS now) and that's running my design programs within a VM not getting direct full access to hardware compared to the Mac. Thinkstation has Linux on it and the reason for the VM, in case you were wondering why I bothered to run the VM. Ironically, Win 7 and associated programs run quicker through the VM then they did directly installed on the old custom rig that I had in my office. I still have the custom rig, it's just nothing but powers the machines now. Also using VMs, since it too runs Linux now. Not as quick as my main design station, but it works. Both had 16GBs, but the processors were different and the type of ram was different.
Going Mac comes at a premium...Their hardware will cost you more...however...I am running (I believe 7 years old now) original 13" unibody MacBook Pro...ran every OS up until now...still purrs...not bad for a $1300 purchase...I have a 27" iMac and just added a Mac Pro...
I still use a Toshiba Quismio that I bought when Win 7 first came out. I think roughly 7 yrs ago. It's still plugging right along. Cost about the same, if not a little bit more then yours. I've always loved the screen that came with Macs. Not enough for me to go back, but I always like looking at Alicia's MacBook and even the screen on the old iMac. To me, it's like Ai versus Draw, it comes down to preference and what you are used to. There are features that I like from one over the other (and depending on the feature, which OS comes out ahead can change).

Ditchmiester

Totally ignorant question, my only experience with a apple product was with my Iphone..
I really liked the phone, but I absolutely refuse to buy a product that the manufacturer thinks
they can tell me how I can use it. Apple's tight controlling grip on who could make apps for their phones,
and what programs I can have on it really pissed me off... Are Mac computers at all the same way?

Anyone can write a program that is compatible with the Mac. Putting something on the Mac App Store is different than just writing software. I hardly ever use the Mac App Store but love the programs that are written natively for the Mac OS.