• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Switching from Vertelith to Onyx

NikPayne

We bought a Mutoh Xpertjet 1682SR back in December and have had nothing but problems with it since, we've heard the problem might be the RIP software so we were thinking about switching from Vertelith to Onyx. Has anyone done this and did it help color and banding issues?

Joe House

Sign Equipment Technician
In my experience, while a RIP can be the cause of banding, it's not usually the first thing I would look at. More often it's machine related or environmental -usually low humidity causing static related issues. I think Onyx does a great job of color management though and you won't be disappointed with that, if you learn to use it correctly. Over here (in the USA) you can usually get a 30 day trial of the RIP to try it out, but to be fair to the software, you should have someone knowledgeable with the software to help you get the most out of it.

Good Luck

NikPayne

In my experience, while a RIP can be the cause of banding, it's not usually the first thing I would look at. More often it's machine related or environmental -usually low humidity causing static related issues. I think Onyx does a great job of color management though and you won't be disappointed with that, if you learn to use it correctly. Over here (in the USA) you can usually get a 30 day trial of the RIP to try it out, but to be fair to the software, you should have someone knowledgeable with the software to help you get the most out of it.

Good Luck
we have gone rounds with company we bought it from, he is the one that thinks its the RIP software, we have put a whole crazy humidity system in the shop of course we've got like zero help from Mutoh. I'm in the states so i will look into 30 day trial. I've ran a few different printers over the years never had these issues especially with a new "top of the line, award winning" printer.

greysquirrel

banding issues would not be related to the printer, however, banding issues will affect your color. You may want to make sure your printer does not need a laptop or damper replaced before switching rips. Did your tech say it could be the rip? Did you reach out to Mutton directly? Seems odd someone would say this was a rip issue.

NikPayne

banding issues would not be related to the printer, however, banding issues will affect your color. You may want to make sure your printer does not need a laptop or damper replaced before switching rips. Did your tech say it could be the rip? Did you reach out to Mutton directly? Seems odd someone would say this was a rip issue.
That is what the tech is saying, I guess someone else was having the same issue and he switch the rip and it fixed the problem. I personally know of another shop that has the same printer bought it maybe like a month or two before us that is having the same issues. Yes we have also reached out directly to Mutoh and they have been working on a "solution" since December