• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

tanker truck question

dortonracing

I have Fuel truck that we was going to be putting a wrap on the tank, It raw aluminum and not all polished and shiny any more. the tank is 20ft long and doing a 52in tall sticker on it. We was going to go ahead and do it in 3 panels. Here is the problem i came across. I got the vinyl all set where i wanted it and was going to start at top and work done on each panel, so i got about 2ft peeled and was pulling it tight to stick on tank and when i did the vinly stuck and wouldn't come back up at all, it acted like it wasn't even wrap vinyl. you could have a spot where it would normally be a small bubble you could rub out with your finger but this would not do anything like that. It acted like using a 651 or smililr vinyl, any one have any suggestions or tips?

dortonracing

using 3m wrap vinyl, cleaned with water and soap first then went back with alcohol on complete surface. the tank was a little bit cold but i figured if anything that would make it stick worse it wasn't like frozen cold just cool.

dortonracing

pat white let me know how it goes, we are going to try and get the tank nice and warm and try something small on it. I was thinking a quick easy install but guess i was wrong.

Malkin

I have generally found that vinyl does adhere very well to aluminum tanks, but that sounds pretty unusual.
Maybe a warmer temperature will help.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We've done the local fleet a few times here both raw & painted aluminum tubes with IJ180c.
Initial tack is high and it is never cold here.
We work from the top down and with 2 or 3 foot of adhesive exposed at a time using the backing to keep the lower parts off the tube on the way down.
After the second or 3rd 42' tanker it gets easy.....

wayne k
guam usa