• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

tape sticking to window

MikeD

Has anyone ever heard of transfer tape sticking to the substrate the decal is adhered too? Such as the tape takes the vinyl off of the liner, but then the tape won't release from the window the vinyl was installed on? I don't understand how this could happen.
Thanks,
Miked

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Wet or dry install? Was the window prepped correctly?
Wet is not recommended on glass especially w/ homemade app fluid.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
i totally get this issue.
most likely the window has some kind of film on it. i am having this problem with vehicles sometimes as well as some storefront windows.
i have used all my cleaning solutions and no luck.
i have to soak the tape to release the vinyl.

-mosher

MikeD

Dry install with R-Tape clear choice. The install hasn't happened yet, but I was warned about transfer tapes sticking to glass. I wasn't familiar with that happening other than with a paper tape. Could this happen on a clean window and dry install with a non-paper product?
Thanks,
Miked

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Wut or What?

Homemade application fluid sucks especially on glass when installing with application tape.

AnthonyRalano

How is it determined what is in each installer's homemade application fluid? Or is this a standard term for the ol' drop of soap in the spray bottle?

J Hill Designs

Wut or What?

Homemade application fluid sucks especially on glass when installing with application tape.

both.

I call BS, it works wonders in many situations.

generalize much?

edit: to to OP, now that I see it was clear app tape, that is the problem.

J Hill Designs

Ah I see. to answer the question, anything CAN happen, but the likeliness thereof depends on a lot of things :Big Laugh

I've never had it happen with paper transfer tape, however.

Turfa

The only time I have seen this happen is when the app tape was left on the decal for a couple of days before being removed (customer install) and the decal was in a location that had direct sun exposure. The adhesive on app tape is not UV stabilized and a bit of sun can make it permanently bond to the substrate.