• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Taxes when selling to fleet leasing service..?

DecalGenieTN

I am starting to sell decals to a trailer leasing company in Tennessee. I was told I do not charge them sales tax because leasing companies are tax exempt.. Anyone know how to bill this? Do I just bill them and not charge sales tax, and then file taxes on my profit?

Thanks in advance!!

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Ask them for a certificate and you will be covered. Rental/Leasing companies aren't tax exempt per se but I believe parts and and other things that go into their rental fleet is tax exempt, like painting, tires etc. Now if it is for their own stuff like say tires or decals for their delivery truck, it is not exempt but that is their problem to deal with.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Ask them for a certificate and you will be covered. Rental/Leasing companies aren't tax exempt per se but I believe parts and and other things that go into their rental fleet is tax exempt, like painting, tires etc. Now if it is for their own stuff like say tires or decals for their delivery truck, it is not exempt but that is their problem to deal with.

That's how it works here in Colorado too. Just make sure you keep a current copy of their license on file or else when you get audited they won't accept an expired one.

unclebun

Don't know about your state, but in Missouri, the vehicle to be leased is exempt from sales tax, but not things the leasing company buys for its own use. We pay sales tax on vehicles at the Department of Revenue, not the seller, so it is very easy to deal with. The only sales tax exemption is when they submit the correct paperwork to the Department of Revenue.

If they are claiming a resale exemption, they have to provide a Missouri Resale Certificate filled out with us as the vendor. You probably have the same in Tennessee

Last edited:

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Wouldnt the leasing company be a technical reseller of your product? They're likely adding a couple $$ onto your product. We do stuff like this often. They are actually liable for collecting any sales tax for the decals and such.
As said above...get their tax ID information and hold onto it.

WildWestDesigns

I am starting to sell decals to a trailer leasing company in Tennessee. I was told I do not charge them sales tax because leasing companies are tax exempt.. Anyone know how to bill this? Do I just bill them and not charge sales tax, and then file taxes on my profit?

Thanks in advance!!

If they are selling the decals, then they would be the ones responsible for collecting sales taxes, but you would still be responsible for having that exempt info on hand. If they do not present tax exempt info for you, then I would charge them versus just taking them on their word.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
The lease/rental payment is taxed which is why they are tax exempt on purchases strictly tied to their rental fleet. One caveat with these leasing companies. They have to have a resale certificate in your state, out of state certificates do not work.