• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

TDLR licenses

neoguri

Hello everyone, I have a question that may be stupid or might be something only TDLR knows.
I've been working under a TDLR Master sign electrician for the last 2 and a half years, I employ him since my company needs a master to qualify as an electrical sign contractor. I need to get licensed as well but didn't look into it for a while only thinking I need the hours and take an exam.
I started looking into the journeyman exam recently since it's been a while and I saw that I need an apprentice license first... so I applied for one.
Does anyone know if my hours prior to signing up for an sign electrical apprentice license count toward my 7-8000 hours needed for a journeyman license? Basically can hours be counted prior to apprentice license? My hours consist of running my business, manufacturing work including assembly and wiring, and being on site during installation but only to supervise my crew to make sure they do a good job and clean work.
Any insight is appreciated.

neoguri

TDLR can't even agree on their own rules. I wouldn't rely on answers from the forum, I would get an answer in writing from TDLR.
I emailed them and haven't recieved a response yet. Hopefully it does count or I will be out over 6000 hours.

neoguri

Just sent them an email, fingers crossed that the hours could count. I'd prefer to have my own MSE license since my current MSE went thru heart surgery and I am worry that we may lose him.
Got a call back, in case anyone else has the same question- essentially it counts since manufacturing does not require a license, but as long as the Master validates that the manufacturing/fabrication work is electrical related. Master would have to write a letter attached to the form when submitting clarifying that the individual in question was and is doing electrical wiring of signages.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Got a call back, in case anyone else has the same question- essentially it counts since manufacturing does not require a license, but as long as the Master validates that the manufacturing/fabrication work is electrical related. Master would have to write a letter attached to the form when submitting clarifying that the individual in question was and is doing electrical wiring of signages.
Thanks for following up!