• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Testing Caldera with L360 600dpi question

jasonx

Hey guys,

Testing Caldera with out L360 as looking at moving everything from Onyx to Caldera.

How do I know what resolution I am printing in?

On the job the resolution is greyed out to 600 for the profile I'm using I can't change that.

Under colour management there is an output profile only 1 select able that has a reference to _300_CMYK8.

I'm printing some small text and its not great quality so I'm guessing I'm printing at 300dpi mode.

dypinc

If I recall correctly from when I was testing Caldera you have to create a new profile for each resolution you want to print at. You can't change resolution of an existing profile for the L360. I think that is pretty much standard for all RIPs.

But what happens when you download profiles from the printer, I can't recall does Caldera create a setup/profile for 150dpi, 300dpi, and 600dpi. My current RIP does that but I can't remember if Caldera did that or not.

FrankW

You can't set the PRINTING-Resolution for the 360, in nearly every print mode, the Latex 360 prints with 1'200x600dpi. The Print Modes differ from the number of Passes.

Because of the printer is a Contone-Printer, the RIP won't generate halftone data as it does for most other printers. The RIP generates a bitmap file which will be sent to the printer for further processing. The resolution choosable at the RIP's (150, 300, 600dpi) is the resolution of this Contone-Bitmap.

600dpi is greyed out when choosing a print mode of 6 Passes or lower, because 600dpi is available for 8 Passes and higher only. Lower resolution will lead to really fast RIPping, but when printing little details, the quality could get poor. HP suggests 600dpi from 8 Passes on.