• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Texture Fill ???

Colin

When I apply a "Texture Fill" to a font in CorelDraw (12), the fill is always distorted, either squished or stretched by what appears to be about 50% or 200%. If I apply the same fill to a regular contour, it looks perfect.

Even if I convert the text to a curve/path it looks the same.

Any ideas?

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Just my opinion: Corel's Texture Fill feature sucks.

The aforementioned distortion is one problem; the fills are square, but scale to the size and aspect ratio of the object in question. The other is that filter is Corel-dependent. It has been several years since I have bothered even using that filter.

The only time I deal with it these days is in regard to certain customer provided art files. And then I usually take several steps to get the same effect created in Photoshop and make a layout that can transport more faithfully to other applications.

Your fix (to get rid of the distortion) may be applying the same fill to a large square, copying that square to the clipboard and pasting the pixels into Photoshop (and then Powerclipping a saved TIFF afterward).

maddmd

Texture Fill

I just did this and had no problem. Did not do anything but type words and selected fills.
Mike

Colin

Bobby H: Yikes, that would wear out my mouse. Your fix has disclosed my weakness and that is the enormous, dark, complicated labyrinth named "Photoshop". I attempted to dabble in it a few years ago and due to the fact that I had no output for it (Large format printer) I didn't continue with it and stuck with the familiar comfy vector world. Ahhhh.

Thanks a lot though Bobby.

Any others?

Last edited:

Steve C.

There are lots of ways to change the look of texture files in corel. Use the special fills editor to change the size, color, resolution, tile size and dimentions, pixel rate and positioning, texture, relief, light. light direction, etc,etc.

Attachments

• capture_textures copy.jpg
    capture_textures copy.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

Colin

Yes, but unfortunately I can't see which command changes the problem I'm speaking about.
Here's an example: draw 3 rectangles; one tallish, one square, and one longish. Select them (one at a time or all at once) and apply a texture fill. Then see what I mean......only the evenly square one looks correct.

Attachments

• Fill Test.jpg
    Fill Test.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 142

Steve C.

I use Corel 8, but the setting should still work the same. In the Texture Fill window, Click the "Tiling..." button. In the Tiling window, uncheck the box at the bottom for "Transform fill with object". See if that works. It does for me.

BTW If you use Corel, Try working with that Edoras font there, then export or copy to Inspire with fonts converted to curve. I'll bet it will work for you.

Steve C.

Well, that's it for me, I don't know what could be causing it. It work on my computer. Hope someone else will know. You might try a google for corel users help sites. I used one years ago that was help for me, but I don't remember the web address, been too long.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Although some may insist that CorelDRAW works absolutely perfectly, has no bugs and anyone having technical trouble with the application is obviously imagining things, CDR is indeed one flaky bird.

The texture fill bug is real. I have seen it. It is one of several reasons why I believe Corel's texture fill sucks. I vastly prefer to take some vector paths into Photoshop and dress up some raster-based effects there. The end result is typically much much better since I'll generate the effect in the native resolution of that document. Corel's texture effect OTOH can scale very badly and show evidence of that awful pixel grid. Viewers should not be able to play checkers on your final printed result.

Here's another odd example I have seen in both versions 9 and 12 of CorelDRAW: odd handling of Pantone spot color fills. They may work fine on one computer. But load the same document on another computer running the same build of CorelDRAW and those fills may magically change to Black. I have seen this bug crop up when dealing with artwork originally created in Illustrator. Basically you have no choice but to redo all the fills.

Jackpine

Corel Fill

I use ver 10 and use the powerclip feature. Fill each object one seperatly. Make sure your bitmap fill is a bit larger than the object.

Try this. Draw the square and choose your fill. Then select your text and hit Edit/Copy Properties From/Fill and click on the square. It filled the text correctly without squeezing the fill out of shape on my computer.