• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Textured wall wrap tools

aerial

QCB
I need to invest in tools for textured walls. Any thoughts on 3M TSA tools versus Geek Wraps Big Boy Installer Roller?
I have used the TSA 1 and find it awkward and slow. I like the concept of having the gun held by the tool. I would love to try a torch, but we do all of our work in schools, and they would freak out. Thanks

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
I have the geek wraps big boy and it’s a great tool although I haven’t tried the heat gun mount if there is one for it. Wish they weren’t so $$ so we could buy a few more.

We bought a big 40+” wide tennis court roller the other day and used it to install a 1000’ sqft floor graphic and it was amazing. Hit the edges and seams with the geek wraps at the end but the big roller made the install a piece of cake

I need to invest in tools for textured walls. Any thoughts on 3M TSA tools versus Geek Wraps Big Boy Installer Roller?
I have used the TSA 1 and find it awkward and slow. I like the concept of having the gun held by the tool. I would love to try a torch, but we do all of our work in schools, and they would freak out. Thanks

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
In my opinion, the Geek wraps roller is too stiff for textured wrap installs, too wide without 2 heat guns, and it gets hot and hard to hold over time. I have used it for floors with a slight texture. You may get away with a painted block but not anything with serious texture. I find that on these types of installs the amount of heat is more important than pressure, and every pound you have to hold up will wear you out over time. I like the TSA 4 but it's heavy and you can't get close to the edges so you will need another tool. The two-hand hold also limits the area you can work on when on a ladder.

I have used a cheap 4" foam paint roller with great success. They are light and soft enough to conform to most textures except deep brick mortar joints. You will need a separate tool for deep mortar joints no matter what you use. If you use the foam paint roller buy an extra 6 pack of rollers. If you get the heat too close or the vinyl too hot they can melt. I have a TSA1 TSA2 and TSA4, Geekwraps Hotshot Big Easy, and still prefer the cheap foam roller on large jobs.

Whatever you decide you should probably get a TSA2 for corners and mortar joints as well. The cheapest place that I can find to buy 3M tools is Lowen Certified.

4" foam roller. at Home Depot and extra rollers.

Last edited:

aerial

QCB
In my opinion, the Geek wraps roller is too stiff for textured wrap installs, too wide without 2 heat guns, and it gets hot and hard to hold over time. I have used it for floors with a slight texture. You may get away with a painted block but not anything with serious texture. I find that on these types of installs the amount of heat is more important than pressure, and every pound you have to hold up will wear you out over time. I like the TSA 4 but it's heavy and you can't get close to the edges so you will need another tool. The two-hand hold also limits the area you can work on when on a ladder.

I have used a cheap 4" foam paint roller with great success. They are light and soft enough to conform to most textures except deep brick mortar joints. You will need a separate tool for deep mortar joints no matter what you use. If you use the foam paint roller buy an extra 6 pack of rollers. If you get the heat too close or the vinyl too hot they can melt. I have a TSA1 TSA2 and TSA4, Geekwraps Hotshot Big Easy, and still prefer the cheap foam roller on large jobs.

Whatever you decide you should probably get a TSA2 for corners and mortar joints as well. The cheapest place that I can find to buy 3M tools is Lowen Certified.

4" foam roller. at Home Depot and extra rollers.
Thanks so much for your advise! I also ordered the soft foam brayer from Amazon. I will report back to inform others interested to see how it compares to 3M tools, which another shop will be using on the same install.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Having used all the items mentioned above the best IMO is the 3M TSA tool(s). They take the heat the best, give you the best results. There is a reason why you can only go so fast with rough wall installs.

You also have to use the correct material!

aerial

QCB
Having used all the items mentioned above the best IMO is the 3M TSA tool(s). They take the heat the best, give you the best results. There is a reason why you can only go so fast with rough wall installs.

You also have to use the correct material!
Thanks. On my first install I used a TSA 1, and it was fine turned on edge to do the mortar joints which were not too deep. I will spring for one for myself, and throw in some of the foam rollers for helpers.

aerial

QCB
We have now done a few of these installs, first with the printer who is experienced with installing this material, and then on our own. We had success with the foam roller method. Not even a melting issue. I believe it is more about high heat than high pressure. The biggest problem we had was not wrinkling the thin material when laying it down, as it was not laminated. Since these block wall wraps are popular in schools we will invest in the proper tools for our kit, but for anyone who has to install the occasional textured material, the foam rollers work great. Thanks to Jester1167 for the invaluable tip!