• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thank you, Mr. Benguiat!

Johnny Best

For Tiffany, Bookman, Souvenir, Panache, Edwardian Script, Benguiat and Benguiat Gothic.
He was 92.
benguiat.jpg

SignosaurusRex

Mr. Benguiat was a Typeface designer first and foremost. Digital fonts are another category altogether. While Mr. Benguiat did mentor and highly respect many of the modern font designers, I doubt that he gave much thought to 99% of the so-called font designers that have polluted the world with their hazardous waste. In the opinion of many true typeface and font designer, the world has lost one of the last great ones. Rest In Peace Ed, I kick myself for missing my opportunity to attend some of your lectures and classes at Cooper Union Type.

Last edited:

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Very sad news. Ed Benguiat taught type design at School of Visual Arts in Manhattan for many years (including the time I attended SVA at the end of the 1980's into the 1990's). There are very few people, if any at all, who could match Benguiat for his broad contribution to type in the latter half of the 20th Century. One thing is for sure, I think Quentin Tarantino needs to give Benguiat a shout out for the use of a few of his typefaces for title work in his movies. When I was a sophomore at SVA they had a big show in the student gallery at SVA about Ed Benguiat. Back then (around 1988) I was pretty surprised at all the familiar typefaces he had designed.

Regarding the digs at "modern type designers," I think some of that is a bit unfair. There is an exhaustively wide chasm between great quality and terrible quality digital typefaces. Some modern type designers do great quality work while others churn out utter dreck. Usually you have to pay for the good stuff through commercial sites while the garbage quality junk is often available for free, if even the moderators at Dafont are willing to upload it. There are some exceptions of "open source" type families being good. Montserrat is one example. But normally you have to pay for good quality type somehow.