• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

That was stupid!

showcase 66

I royally f***ed up on Wednesday. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I pay my electric bill pretty much every 2 weeks of a $150 from basically February until around October or so. This way, I dont have an electric bill normally November thru January. Helps around Christmas and what not.

Wednesday, I went online to pay the bill and the payment system changed a little but everything for the most part seemed the same. Wrong.

Before, I would have to put in 15000 to pay $150 because if you put in 150 it would only be $1.50. That has changed. I didnt realize that until about 2 hours ago when my bank called to tell me that I was in the red by $12,342.68 and I have 5 checks coming through that can not be covered because of this.

Panic attack at first as I thought someone hacked my account. Went to the bank and found out what had happened with the payment. Going to allow all my checks go through that came in but my account is going to be in the red until Monday when the system will back the charge to the Electric company. Called them up to tell them what is going on and to expect the charge back. I was then told by the electric rep that they will not charge me for the charge back but I would be charged the transaction fee. No big deal, it's $2.50. Wrong again.

It is $2.50 for every $200 paid with their system.

So a $15,000 payment costs $187.50 which now I am on the hook for.

Pissed off at first but have calmed down. More pissed at myself for this than anything. They did what they are suppose to do and I am the one who f***ed it up. Not them.

Damn. What a Friday. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I should also say, that this is for my house electric, not for the shop. My book keeper would kill me if it was for that.

petepaz

wow that sucks. i had a similar situation with the mortgage once but they took out a double payment. normally my personal checking has enough to pay bills and that's it. so they take out a double payment because of a computer glich then i stopped to get gas after work and my debit card wouldn't go through and i didn't have any cash on me. luckily the guy was cool and i went back the next day to pay but what an inconvience

showcase 66

wow that sucks. i had a similar situation with the mortgage once but they took out a double payment. normally my personal checking has enough to pay bills and that's it. so they take out a double payment because of a computer glich then i stopped to get gas after work and my debit card wouldn't go through and i didn't have any cash on me. luckily the guy was cool and i went back the next day to pay but what an inconvience

My brother and his wife had their student loan payments get tripled pulled 2 days before they closed on their house. They pay 1300 a month between the 2 of them on their student loans. They had to have proof in their account that they had the down payment and 3 months mortgage in it. Luckily they had a friend who let them borrow the money until after the house closed.

Haakon

This reminds me of a incident that happened to a buddy of mine, only it was the other way around, bank made the mistake.

So over here you have a 11 digit account number, and almost all bank transactions are done online. But he needed to stop his loan for 2 months (and only pay the interest) because he needed some extra spending money for the summer. This has to be done manually by the bank, you can not change this yourself online. So he rang the bank up, the loan department changed the sum for the 2 payments and all was well.

Until he checked his account the next day, and he was overdrawn with over 10 billion dollars!! (converted to us currency) Not over the shock he rang up the bank, and after a while they found the error. The loan officer (summer help) had actually input his 11 digit account number as the sum to be withdrawn! And the number started with an 8 as if the error was not bad enough. I have the same bank and accounts there start with 8420, so he was at least 84,200,000,000 NOK in the red (6NOK=1USD). Enough to make you instantly sick to your stomach when checking your account online :omg:

But the best part of this story took a couple of years to unfold when I ran into a classmate from elementary school whose father is the bank manager of that very bank.

Told him the story, and that was nothing he said. His father actually managed to do the same thing for a withdrawal for the actual bank, only he managed to input the account nr 2 times after another, so a 22 digit nr! This bank has branches in Norway and Sweden, but is owned by a Danish main bank/company and they are all linked together. And this was done on a friday afternoon, so all transaction out of all the banks were shut down for the whole weekend, ATM's stopped and all kinds of havoc. Because on paper all the banks were at least 1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 in the red!