• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The Big Squeegee - I don't need that overpriced thing ... or do i ...

Chad.

For years i have seen postings of The BigSqueegee on Signs101 and other places around the web. I watched the Youtube videos, seen the ads in magazines and the product in the fellers catalog and just never pulled the trigger as i felt like it was another fly by night "tool" that i didn't need as i could use the laminator to mount prints.

Recently, our "mounting laminator" started to rebel and refused to pull sheets through without shutting down ... I started hunting for a new solution, maybe another laminator ($6k+), a flatbed applicator ($15k+), etc ... Then a few days ago i'm in our local fellers warehouse and walk past these things on the shelf ... I immediately start thinking "ugh, there's no way this thing is going to do what we need". I pick it up, look it over and decide oh what the hell .. and buy it. (under $150)

I come back to the shop and we have a few 4x4 coro and MDO signs that need to be mounted so i decide to give it a whirl ... I throw some coro on table (because i'm not wasting MDO when this thing sucks) tack the leading edge, roll the material, put roll in the holder and give it a shove ... I am instantly floored ... WAIT A MINUTE! THAT'S IT? No Way! ... Let's do that again ... BOOM! Done! I was addicted, and in less than 20 minutes had mounted and trimmed 8 total 4x4 signs ...

For years i have gone through the hassle of rolling out a machine, adjusting rollers, feeding heavy sheets through, and on several occasions dealing with material walk ... The Big Squeegee is without question faster, easier, and more cost effective than any other method we've used to date.

I'll be the first to admit when I am wrong, and I was about The Big Squeegee ... It's an amazing product and we're glad to have a FEW in the shop now!

bigben

I had some window perf to install last week. 8 peices 48in wide X 72in high (starting at around 24in from the ground). I've just use my new aluminum BS with the long pole. No ladder, just start from the bottom and up. Took me around 15-20min and I was out.

bigsign

Roll holder

I had some window perf to install last week. 8 peices 48in wide X 72in high (starting at around 24in from the ground). I've just use my new aluminum BS with the long pole. No ladder, just start from the bottom and up. Took me around 15-20min and I was out.
Did you use the roll holder?

JP4

I have a 32" Aluminum Series coming my way to try out. Looks very interesting for sure.

Brandon708

I have the 52" (I think that's the size) BS and it's pretty great tool. Only thing I have a problem is that when mounting a 4x8 print the far side from my reach has to be worked down with a squeegee afterwards. I can seem to get enough pressure on that end to not have bubbles. Any fix in my technique that will solve this?

bigben

I have the 52" (I think that's the size) BS and it's pretty great tool. Only thing I have a problem is that when mounting a 4x8 print the far side from my reach has to be worked down with a squeegee afterwards. I can seem to get enough pressure on that end to not have bubbles. Any fix in my technique that will solve this?

Make a small hole at the end of your BS and attach somekind of weight on it. It worked for me.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I have the 52" (I think that's the size) BS and it's pretty great tool. Only thing I have a problem is that when mounting a 4x8 print the far side from my reach has to be worked down with a squeegee afterwards. I can't seem to get enough pressure on that end to not have bubbles. Any fix in my technique that will solve this?
If the backing comes off at the end, the exposed glue may be sticking down before the squeegee gets to it. You might try putting a piece of masking tape over the end to attach the backing to the vinyl so it don't let go until the vinyl is laid to the end.

BobM

I just ordered a new Aluminum BS. Why don't you recommend applying transfer tape with the BS? Been doing that with the plastic ones for years without a problem. Just wondering?

JP4

Crazy fast shipping from BS got my 32" AL BS in yesterday. I tried it out on some 30" prints. I laminated two sheets. one about *36" long and one *45" and worked great. A perfect bubble free application. Would have liked to see the PVC handle attachment a little wider(I have huge hands). I may order another handle. Probably not a end all tool but definitely a must in my "toolbox"

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I just ordered a new Aluminum BS. Why don't you recommend applying transfer tape with the BS? Been doing that with the plastic ones for years without a problem. Just wondering?
The Aluminum tools are new. I don't like to advertise that it will do something and then find out I was wrong. The application edge of the Aluminum squeegee is sharper than the plastic ones so I assumed that it may cut through the paper tapes if the tape resisted much coming off the roll. We have improved the roll holders since we started and they may make it so that the paper tapes will work. I do not make signage in my shop so getting a fresh batch of all the different vinyls and tapes to try would be very expensive.

If you don't like the aluminum tools, you can send it back for a refund.