• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The List of Questions

dlndesign

So I wanted to get some feedback on what questions you ask your client when you do a site visit or over the phone.

This is my basic rundown, but I am looking to make it more efficent.

-There contact info.
-Where the sign is going, interior /exterior
-What they want, or ideas they have.
-Temporary or Permanent
-Illuminated or Non Electrical
-Budget
-Building Requirements/Landlord Requirements
-Deadline
-Graphics/ or Design Work Needed

I am just looking to streamline my questions as to not have a 1/2hr discussion for a $250 job.

Thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There's no set sequence for anyone particular person. You want to find out who they are, what they want, where they are, if they have any idea as to what they want and if they have a budget. Don't ask what their budget is or you'll lose them for sure. Most people when asked that, tend to think you're just gonna undercut by a few dollars. Once you do this enough, you'll develop your own spiel and once you own the opening lines.... it will come easy to you.

Most important is.... to listen and take notes.

rfulford

I find that the most important question is to ask what the clients expectations for the sign / graphic are.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Those are good questions... but a lot of the time people don't know what they want/need... they tell you they have a logo ready to go but don't tell you it's a 2 inch gif from the internet. They want THIS sign, but the code says they can't have that style.

Or worse - as was the case today. I had a client that told me originally he had NO ideas... yet doesn't like anything I do. No input. No feel for what he wants. Just a "you're the professional.. figure it out"

Ummm.. yeah... I flunked my mind reading class...

dlndesign

Thanks, all great advise! Gino, I do not particullay believe if you ask the budget upfront, you'll loose the client. Most times if I have a budget in mind I can estimate alot faster and get back to them sooner, rather than spend time in research and find out they only had the budget for a economy sign (waisting time).

Mosh

How much they want to spend is the first thing I ask. It cuts out all the tire-kickers.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, all great advise! Gino, I do not particullay believe if you ask the budget upfront, you'll loose the client. Most times if I have a budget in mind I can estimate alot faster and get back to them sooner, rather than spend time in research and find out they only had the budget for a economy sign (waisting time).

Fair enough. If this was in the 'Premium' section, I'd go into it more, but you go right ahead and ask upfront and see how well that goes over. :peace!: