• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The next generation of adobe users now work among us

JBurton

Signtologist
Got this as a response to a designer when asking for PMS colors...
Hey A****! Since Adobe stopped putting their Pantone colors in the new programs, and never had a client ask for it til NOW lol, I haven't been doing it anymore! So I didn't create the logo with a specific Pantone color, however I do have the CYMK color code. Would that be helpful?
And a follow up:
CMYK Colors:
Light Blue: 41%, 24%, 21%, 0%
Dark Blue: 80%, 70%, 43%, 30%

Here are some I felt were close, but please confirm on your end!
PMS 432C may be close to the dark color
PMS 429C May be close for the light blue

Feel free to give me a call if you need anything else!
CMYK values for those two colors are wildly different than what she provided. My sales guy tried explaining what use we have for PMS colors (like mixing paint for a cabinet), and why cmyk is so limiting. Pretty sure her response also had LOL in it...

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Got this as a response to a designer when asking for PMS colors...

And a follow up:

CMYK values for those two colors are wildly different than what she provided. My sales guy tried explaining what use we have for PMS colors (like mixing paint for a cabinet), and why cmyk is so limiting. Pretty sure her response also had LOL in it...
Did she call you asshole? I already like this girl.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I wonder how this will play out in the end.

We haven't run into issues yet but it's inevitable.

How will agencies communicate brand guidelines if Adobe is the "standard" and it no longer supports the printing standard for color matching & referencing?

petepaz

PMS colors will probably become a plug in you have to pay extra for.
have to pay for everything NOTHING IS INCLUDED ANY MORE...:mad:
i remember when i started with illustrator we bought the disc loaded it on the two computers we had and good to go for like 3-5 years. basically we didn't update the program till it got to the point we couldn't open customer files because they were created on the newer version. most of the updates were usually web related and didn't effect me doing design work.

JBurton

Signtologist
Pantone buys Canva, and only licences it to their new aquisition, and their fledgling rip software

michael-clarke-duncan-dont-you-put-that-evil-on-me.gif

See above.

Anymore, I see pantone as a necessary evil. It's so popular and engrained, I don't see it going away overnight. My concern would be them hitting matthews/ppg for more licensing fees, which of course would be passed right along to consumers.

WildWestDesigns

have to pay for everything NOTHING IS INCLUDED ANY MORE...

This is going to be an issue with any software that has 3rd party licensed modules/bits to it (usually a good hint as to what is 3rd party or not, look in the "About" section of the program, usually (for licensing reasons typically) those parts are listed, not in all cases, but I would say typically that they are, depends on the license). At any point in time, the software OEM can cut out a licensed part of the software and remove it. It's already happened in one area with Adobe (audio), before it happened with the Pantone Palette.

With the heavy leaning towards SaaS, I would imagine most of your proprietary software is going to be a la carte. I do believe that there is, as far as color "standard", someone working on an alternative, but always run the risk again. When something is more centralized, which has it's pros, something like this will eventually happen.

Pantone matching for what I did, I had a caveat about that, so I was largely already able to get around that long before this fiasco (although I had dropped Adobe long before this as well(I do still have my Pantone palettes from my previous versions that came with them)

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
freetone is put out by Stuart Temple and available as an add-on library for adobe products if one wished to go that route. It has a remarkable similarity to pantone colors :cool:

WildWestDesigns

freetone is put out by Stuart Temple and available as an add-on library for adobe products if one wished to go that route. It has a remarkable similarity to pantone colors :cool:

That's the one that I was thinking of. Just couldn't think of the name of it.

get an old copy of adobe ai or ps. easily from a torrent.
extract the pantone library. save it. and upload it to the new ai, ps. etc
done, the library is still there. may have do it it after each update.
I can't remember for sure, but I do think that they have it setup to remove when they do updating. Because I think it was removed in a regular update to the software. I don't think(although they may) would have removed that with the latest version of the software. I think they would keep that check. If I'm remembering correctly, older I get, the less likely that is. The only downside to that is that the palette won't be updated, so at some point that could be an issue as well if there is any need for newer colors.

The joys of always being on the "latest and greatest".

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
That's the one that I was thinking of. Just couldn't think of the name of it.

I can't remember for sure, but I do think that they have it setup to remove when they do updating. Because I think it was removed in a regular update to the software. I don't think(although they may) would have removed that with the latest version of the software. I think they would keep that check. If I'm remembering correctly, older I get, the less likely that is. The only downside to that is that the palette won't be updated, so at some point that could be an issue as well if there is any need for newer colors.

The joys of always being on the "latest and greatest".

It actually installs a new version, then removes the old as it has the option to "remove older versions of photoshop/illustrator"
so yes, it will technically remove the old pantone colours. but it'll keep your custom libraries.
I think it only does it on major updates. as IICR on minor updates it doesn't remove them.
A little annoying, but i just keep a backup of them all. and have a shortcut to the right directories. so when i do need them, i drag them in.

damonCA21

On the few occasions I get people asking for pantone colours or paint codes, I explain that exact colour matching isn't always possible because of the way CMYK inks work but we should be able to get fairly close. They have always said 'oh yeah thats fine then, I didn't need the exact colour' !!!

WildWestDesigns

It actually installs a new version, then removes the old as it has the option to "remove older versions of photoshop/illustrator"
so yes, it will technically remove the old pantone colours. but it'll keep your custom libraries.
I know it tends to automatically do a new full release automatically, but I was wondering if it applied for the point releases as well. Or does it freshly install a "new" one with the point releases as well (I can't imagine why, but I couldn't imagine a point release being charged for, but yet it was with 5.5 (the only version that I didn't get when I started as an Adobe customer back in the early 90s til 2012))?

I wonder if setting it up with a custom library name would forgo that issue. Unless it's looking for something other than palette name, some type of meta data that would signify that it is the pantone palette beyond just the name that people can't either change or don't think about changing.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I know it tends to automatically do a new full release automatically, but I was wondering if it applied for the point releases as well. Or does it freshly install a "new" one with the point releases as well (I can't imagine why, but I couldn't imagine a point release being charged for, but yet it was with 5.5 (the only version that I didn't get when I started as an Adobe customer back in the early 90s til 2012))?

I wonder if setting it up with a custom library name would forgo that issue. Unless it's looking for something other than palette name, some type of meta data that would signify that it is the pantone palette beyond just the name that people can't either change or don't think about changing.
I know i had a major update and just checked my library and they're gone. but i cant remember if there was any patch updates when i had the library installed.

I did think about trying to put it in a custom library, but i dont use it enough to try it. i use it once every 3-4 months, if im lucky. i've used it twice since they removed it.
I forget how to even make a custom library, :( i've done it once for spot colours.

Sign Pro Salina

get an old copy of adobe ai or ps. easily from a torrent.
extract the pantone library. save it. and upload it to the new ai, ps. etc
done, the library is still there. may have do it it after each update.
Or revert to an older copy of CC if you can and save the PMS swatches, then re-load the newest CC version and load the PMS swatches and you're good to go. That's our workaround. Pantone Connect was a mess to try and use for PMS colors & I believe was going to be an additional cost to CC.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I work with a company that is based in France. This is what they send me...I never heard of RAL colors in my life so I matched it up to the oracal color 75 that doesn't exist in my swatch book.

1713362484267.png