• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The Ultimate Guide to Fixing Banding!

particleman

Blaming banding on the rip doesn't make sense. The software culprit most often is the profile, yeah that's in the rip, but that's not the problem. Just like printing RGB to correct banding, that is a profile issue. For whatever reason you're dumping to much ink on the media causing banding.

In my experience banding is usually caused by:
- printing too fast, not enough dry time (aka 360x540 var dot, high spd, bi)
- printing too fast, media doesn't take ink as well as it should (aka cheap vinyl oracal 3640)
- Enviornment, humidity + certain media = chromatic tractor effect banding on bidirectional, fix: use unidirectional
- Temperature of pre,post heater
- MEDIA COMP! sorry cptcorn, if this setting isn't right you will have banding and it has nothing to do with the profile. This has to be set right and does require adjustment.

In Onyx, 4 out of the 5 things I just listed are normally set and configured in the profile.

Gene@mpls

I have a VP540 and bought the roland version of Wasatch (after using the
small format version for my SP300- and loving it) and Wasatch could never
get it to print without banding. Finally had to switch to VersaWorks to get a
good print. Wasatch of course gave me the old 'too bad, so sad' after screwing with it all last winter and then telling me I had 30 or 60 days (I forget) to return it if I was displeased. I foolishly assumed that they could
work out the problems. Life in the fast lane I guess. Gene

mrblaq

I guess I'll leave my banding questions here instead of starting a new thread. I've a JV3-160SP and Red/Orange colors are showing horizontal banding. Greens are almost perfect and blues have a faint hint of banding. I'm rather certain I have the COMP dialed in correctly, pure CMYK colors come out just fine. I've done all the calibration in #ADJUST and I'm also certain the heads are lined up properly.

I'm printing on 3M Controtac 3552C and TriSolv, both show the same problem. Rasterlink 2.0 720x720 8-Pass Full Diffusion Uni-Directional. 35C Pre and Print.

My best results have come from setting a really high "Pause Time Per Scan" But, it seems it does a light head clean between each pass. So, I think I may be wasting ink and not solving the banding problem entirely.

So, What do you guys think? I'm definitely wondering what the best temperature settings would be amongst any other advice you can provide.

Thanks!

Morph1

Print all
Now are you guys sure about the term you're using here,
bending shows in each pass, as most of you what it seems is the lighter pass every 8th pass or every 6th pass, I get the problem also and found a fix around but its not perfect..., profile has nothing to do with banding,
you adjust banding withy our media calllibration not with your rip software,
I noticed every since we've had JV3 is what I call color inconsistency on spot colors as light blue, orange and some medium to light greens....,
what happens is it seems like for a couple of passes the printer prints well and then almost every 8 pass in 8 pass mode the pass comes lighter regardles of unidirectinal or bidirectional setting and regardless the color profile , it happens in all color profiles...
our dealer has had no answers, and after a close to year and an half battle told us that's the way the printer is printing and thats it .....

Just wondering if the majority of problem mentioned in this thread relate to actual banding or color inconsistencies...

Cheers !

ColesCreations

Morph1 is right on with the problem, every 8 passes sounds about right in 8-pass mode. Exremely consistent, all the way through the print. Then, print the same with color correction off, and everything is fine... go figure

Have I just put two head in my sc500 and having banding issues I have calibrated done all kinds of things can anybody help me to fix this my output profile is FMX press are use flexi 8 a here is a picture of the best I have been able to get it the business log is how it started

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 94
Blaming banding on the rip doesn't make sense. The software culprit most often is the profile, yeah that's in the rip, but that's not the problem. Just like printing RGB to correct banding, that is a profile issue. For whatever reason you're dumping to much ink on the media causing banding.

In my experience banding is usually caused by:
- printing too fast, not enough dry time (aka 360x540 var dot, high spd, bi)
- printing too fast, media doesn't take ink as well as it should (aka cheap vinyl oracal 3640)
- Enviornment, humidity + certain media = chromatic tractor effect banding on bidirectional, fix: use unidirectional
- Temperature of pre,post heater
- MEDIA COMP! sorry cptcorn, if this setting isn't right you will have banding and it has nothing to do with the profile. This has to be set right and does require adjustment.

In Onyx, 4 out of the 5 things I just listed are normally set and configured in the profile.
Ok so are u saying it needs the profile fix ? I have a old school sc500 and just replace heads and getting banding and it looks like cake up on material and on top of it and not on it after playing with setting this is best I can get it any help would greatly be Appreciate it

Attachments

• 7F8960FD-3702-4B01-B416-6723FA0CFE0B.jpeg
    7F8960FD-3702-4B01-B416-6723FA0CFE0B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69