• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

There goes my cutting strip!

Flame

Well, I have to admit. This is my fault. Owned my Graphtec FC7000 for 4 years now, never replaced the cutting strip. Just literally, never thought of it or remembered, and never had an issue cutting. That is, until now. HORRIBLE cuts, inconsistent, just worthless cutting. Then it hit.... o **** I have never replaced my strip.

So, I examine the machine. It seems there's a teflon cutting strip (which costs $35 for btw, sheesh), that's just a very thin sheet of adhesive backed teflon that goes ontop of a plastic piece of moulding. Well, that moulding itself is CHEWED UP. Very bad. Seems I wasted right through the teflon and ate that up pretty good too. Just a nice groove through it.

So now question is.... would a new teflon strip be all I need to get cutting again, or do you think they're too flimsy to hold up considering I've actually cut into my black strip? And then....if I need to replace that black strip, where on earth do I buy one? 2 phone calls to 2 different Graphtec dealers, and neither even knew what a cutting strip was until they checked inventory, much less were able to help me if I can buy a new black "moulding". Check Graphtecs site, signwarehouse, the usuals....no luck and no info. No youtube info, no signs101 info (that I could find).

SO, asking you guys. I know I'm the only one that forgets to replace their strip. So what do you think???

Flame

Falme, I'm not understanding you. You damaged more than the strip? How is that even possible? You have a pic?

Assuming the strip is the super thin thin piece of teflon with adhesive on the back? It goes on a black piece of plastic that the blade actually cuts on. I'll try to get a pic, it's small though so might be hard.

Flame

Poor quality....but here's a pic

Attachments

• graphtec strip.jpg
    graphtec strip.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 153

ova

Flame, might want to try the Ioline people. Sounds like the cutting strip on my Ioline Studio 8 is the same as you're describing. It comes in a roll. We bought enough to replace it two times.

As for the comment about did it hurt the cut surface underneath, I would say yes. On the Ioline, it is aluminum not plastic. Ours also has a gouge across the cut line. Now the machine doesn't cut like it did before this.

They have a website and the guy I talked to was cool.
www.ioline.com

Hope this will help.

Dave

Flame

Yes I have found a few places to obtain the thin teflon strips. Question is more.... does the plastic piece it goes on, need replacing? Or think it will be fine kind of chewed up.

Then of course, if it needs replacing, WTH do you find such a thing.

ova

I guess it would depend on how wide/deep the groove is whether the teflon strip will bridge across and not bend or flex during cutting.

I was trying to think of something you could use to fill the groove. Silicone, glue gun, maybe even super glue. Just fill the void and make sure it stays at the same level as the top surface of the plastic piece. But if whatever you try doesn't work, you might end up damaging the plastic piece more.

Tough call. I wanted to try this on my cutter, but the aluminum piece is the whole top platten of the machine. It's so old, I know I'd never find parts to replace it.

Dave

Stealth Ryder

Yes, the black plastic can be replaced... Any Graphtec Dealer should have them, the supplier I use has always had them in stock whenever I needed one...

sardocs

For the last ten years or more we've been putting a strip of sandblast stencil material on our Ioline Studio8 instead of the $35 teflon strip our suppliers used to sell us. The sandblast strip lasts about a year and a half under heavy usage...

Robert M

strip

In the end the strip will need to be parrallel with the bar that the cutting assy rides on. If there are low spots the blade will not cut through when it hits that spot. Put a straight edge on the area the strip goes and see if it has any gaps

Flame

So if this black stuff is available...where is it available? You sell it Robert? Anyone got any?

If not I'll try a lil putty, super fine sandpaper it down flush, then apply the teflon strip on there but I really don't feel like doing this the redneck way.

skyhigh

just put a new strip down. The piece underneath can't be chewed up THAT much (unless it has a hugh hole the teflon stip wil fall thru).

I'd make sure it dosen't have any "burrs" sticking up (that would raise the teflon strip). If it does, take your xacto and shave them off.

PS. I've had my "TANK" of a cutter for 10 years, and the strip only has one small mark on it. It has only had 4 blades in that time also (not counting the ones I used for sandblast mask or reflective).

EDIT: I'm thinking your machine has more of a problem than the cutter strip. Why in the world would it cut down in that deep?

Flame

I cut a lottttttt of thick materials. So it's really no surprise.

Hmm, trying 20mil vinyl now instead of the teflon, see how that works. Anyone heard of poor cutting related to the blade spring either?

CanuckSigns

i would be tempted to just smooth the groove out with sandpaper and fill with epoxy or something, if that doesn't work, you're no further behind than you are now, if it screws up just buy a new piece like you were planning to.