• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thermal to Latex

daenterpri

Hey Guys!

I would like to hear your feedback.

So, I've been using a Summa DC4sx this last year as my main printer. However, a few things have come up that are making me seriously consider a Latex printer right now. 90% of the work in our shop is printed decals and vehicle graphics. I already have a Summa D140 Cutter.
  1. Intermediate vinyl has proven to be unreliable with thermal, we have to throw away a bunch of our work. This leaves us buying expensive $370 cast vinyl for all of our decals, and masking them.
  2. There are markets and other companies I would like to go after for their business, but I know my print quality with thermal would be rough
What I would like to hear from you guys is, what do you estimate I would go through in ink on a 30" roll of vinyl, printing decals?

From my research, I'm guessing that the cost of printing with the HP L26500 is roughly $0.20-$0.30 per sq/ft. "ink" costs with the Summa are about $1.30 per sq/ft. I figure that my media cost with the HP would be about $0.57 per sq/ft, lamination and calendared vinyl. As of now, my cost of Summa cast and masking runs me about $1.12.

Last month, I figured there was at least 500 sq/ft of printing that I could have done with the HP Latex printer. With only 500 sq/ft, I figure I would have saved about $777 in media and ink if I had a Latex Printer over my Summa. Does that sound right?

I've spreadsheeted this sucker out, but I want to make sure I'm not trying to make it work more than it is. If I go get a small business loan for the L26500, RS Laminator and Software(roughly $23,000), I estimate my payments would be around $300/mo, which the savings in media and ink would easily pay for! Not to mention, I could offer way more product and go after the markets I want to go after.

Am I right? Am I leaving out anything important?

Thanks for your help as I try to make a wise decision.

daenterpri

On the Summa, what brand of vinyl are you trying to run through it? Oracal 651 works here without issue.

Been running 3M SC-50. Has worked well since I had the machine, but the last 2 rolls had deep pits in them which the thermal cannot print into. Also, tried Summa's blend of intermediate and it was even worse. Big chunks of white it would not print too :(

The 3M Premium that Summa sell's it prints really nicely to.

Ursta Graphics

I run a Summa DC4 for everything as well. I ran into the same problem. I was running all MacTac vinyl but they changed their formulations and my machine wasn't liking it. I switched to Avery 1005ez-rs and haven't looked back. It is about $50cheaper per roll than the 3m comparable cast and prints FANTASTIC. The mactac intermediate still works ok, but most of the time I just charge accordingly for the Avery cast and if I need to come in cheaper on a large run of decals I will sub out to another printer. I also advise getting the film from fellers (they were the cheapest) and the rolls come wrapped in plastic and are "fresh" so you won't have to worry about any contamination or dust on the film. Even though Fellers catalog looks like a complete train wreck... they have treated me good so far.

ProColorGraphics

Don't forget that you need a RIP too, I would highly recommend Caldera. As far as ink, it all depends on how much ink coverage there is on the decals you are printing. I have some decals I go through (8) 30" rolls without having to change a cartridge, but there is only some black ink on them.

daenterpri

ProColorGraphics - Thanks for that information! I would have to swap out my cartridges in less than 1.5 rolls :( I was thinking of using Flexi for the RIP. That's what I used when I had a solvent printer and I really liked it. I'll look into Caldera though.

Ursta Graphics - Thank you also for your help. I haven't tried Avery yet. I do have an account at Fellers, maybe I'll give it a shot. If I'm spending the money on cast vinyl, I do like the 3M vinyl that Summa sells. The plastic liner is kinda nice.

FrankW

There is a list of compatible media available from summa itself (I doesn't find mine, otherwise I would upload it). But which media you ever use: you will be more expensive with thermal transfer than with inkjet. On the other hand there are some advantages of thermal printing which can't be beaten by inkjet at the same machine price.

If buying FlexiSIGN-PRO or Signlab, you can drive the HP and the DC4 at the same time ;) , with much more comfort than the color control.

daenterpri

If buying FlexiSIGN-PRO or Signlab, you can drive the HP and the DC4 at the same time ;) , with much more comfort than the color control.

That is really good to know! I used to use Flexi PhotoPrint to run my old solvent printer and cutter. So, I'd probably be pretty familiar with that already. Do you consider Signlab better? Grimco (my main supplier) wants me to get Onyx, but it's more expensive than Flexi and I'm unfamiliar with it.