• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinion Thinking about Design

June666

I like red
"Thinking about Design." This is a book about the basic principles of advertising design. The author uses very concise language with lively and interesting illustrations to try to explain to everyone why those excellent design works are excellent.
The author of "Thinking about Design" is Paul Rand (1914-1996), known as the "Picasso of Graphic Design", and is recognized as one of the most influential designers in the printing age.
The book "Thinking about Design" focuses on three core points:
First, "beauty and practicality" is the first principle of design.
Second, what is the mission of the designer?
Third, what are the controllable elements in the design?
Paul Rand's language is particularly concise and even a little rigid, but combined with the design cases he provided, you can still see his extremely serious attitude and dedication to design.

If you are interested in the book ,you can read the book

Stacey K

I like making signs
It should be "Thoughts on Design"...most recent edition 2014 (4th). Correct? Sounds like an excellent Christmas gift to ask for!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
"Thinking about Design." This is a book about the basic principles of advertising design. The author uses very concise language with lively and interesting illustrations to try to explain to everyone why those excellent design works are excellent.
The author of "Thinking about Design" is Paul Rand (1914-1996), known as the "Picasso of Graphic Design", and is recognized as one of the most influential designers in the printing age.
The book "Thinking about Design" focuses on three core points:
First, "beauty and practicality" is the first principle of design.
Second, what is the mission of the designer?
Third, what are the controllable elements in the design?
Paul Rand's language is particularly concise and even a little rigid, but combined with the design cases he provided, you can still see his extremely serious attitude and dedication to design.

If you are interested in the book ,you can read the book

Thank you for this tip! :) Looks like the title may be, according to Amazon (ordering now)
Paul Rand's Thoughts on Design

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I'm currently reading "Mastering Layout: On the Art of Eye Appeal" by Mike Stevens. Someone on here recommended it - it's an excellent read. I wish I had the printed version though. I'm reading the digital version, and it's hard to jump around and look at the glossary and the images. A real book would be easier.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
It's important not to confuse Paul Rand with Rand Paul.:D

There's a decent web site for Paul Rand that shows off some of his most important work as well as different books about him and his design process. Saul Bass is another design titan from the same era. He not only designed many well known corporate logos, but also designed opening title sequences to quite a few classic movies. There's a couple good books about his work.