• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thought on uses PCIE NVMe M.2 Internal SSD for Windows boot drive.

dypinc

Another thread has got me thinking about this question and I though it belonged in it own thread.

First off for years I have been using Unix/Linux OS based computers for doing all the heavy work throwing lots of RAM at it because it uses all the RAM you give it. On the other hand when I have run Windows and it seems so slow I look at its RAM usage and always find most of it not being used. Example Colorgate RIP running on Win10 with 32GB of RAM never seems to use more than 6GB. The Fiery EX-P 3100 on the digital press with 16GB seems to make better use of the RAM available. Maybe it is just Colorgate.

But back to the question. Have any of you using PCIE NVMe M.2 Internal SSDs for the boot drive found that they are really beneficial for Windows OS as opposed to lots of RAM which Windows doesn't seem to use anyhow?

Christian @ 2CT Media

All of our computers are now... It makes a world of difference for speed but also for compatibility issues.

Things are near instant now but windows and its poor coding always has issues with startup or updates with them.

WildWestDesigns

First off for years I have been using Unix/Linux OS based computers for doing all the heavy work throwing lots of RAM at it because it uses all the RAM you give it.

How are you experiencing that? Running a lot of processes or is it resource hog DE (Gnome (and it's forks) being the worst in my experience, when not really loading it with a lot of processes).

Depending the DE that I'm using, say KDE versus XFCE on the same spec hardware running the same programs, XFCE doesn't use as much RAM as KDE and that's directly related to the DE. Using all the RAM isn't in of itself a reflection of efficiency.

On the other hand when I have run Windows and it seems so slow I look at its RAM usage and always find most of it not being used. Example Colorgate RIP running on Win10 with 32GB of RAM never seems to use more than 6GB. The Fiery EX-P 3100 on the digital press with 16GB seems to make better use of the RAM available. Maybe it is just Colorgate.

If you are running any 32 bit programs on a 64 bit machine, those programs are only ever going to see and use 4 GB period, no matter how much ram you have in it.

Then, of course, don't discount the efficiencies of the programming itself and how it uses resources no matter if it's 32 bit or 64 bit.

But back to the question. Have any of you using PCIE NVMe M.2 Internal SSDs for the boot drive found that they are really beneficial for Windows OS as opposed to lots of RAM which Windows doesn't seem to use anyhow?

SSDs, in general, do have some speed improvements, but if you are bottlenecking somewhere else, be it in a program, another piece of hardware etc, it's only going to get you so far.

Again, it may not be so much Windows (and Windows is really inefficient due to all of it's legacy support (which in my mind contributes to it's security problems as well)) and it's inefficiencies, but the program.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
SSD drives are awesome. Windows boot a lot faster. Apps starts a lot faster too. I have ssds in all my machine but i just ordered a new gaming rig with 512gb of nvme. can't wait. Oh there is also this optane memory thing. Supposed to help the HDDs a BIIIG time and ssds a little bit. A lot cheaper than RAM. I didn't get it because im going with nvme but i was thinking to just get 16 high speed ram, ssd and 32gb if optane memory which only cost like $30

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I switched a couple years ago and will never go back. SSD is the way to go.

Also, when it comes to how the computer RIPs the file, the amount of memory it uses is directly related to how much your processor can handle at a given point. It just so happens that the RIP process cannot be split between cores so it only runs on one at a time. Depending on your processor's clock speed, it will only be able to handle a certain amount of RAM at a time. If you could parallelize the RIP process and utilize all cores in our processor, you would see your RAM maxed out but unfortunately that is not possible. However if you RIP multiple files at once it can spread that across cores and more RAM will be used.