• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thoughts on Hybrid printers

postnetnc133

I have been really thinking about getting a hybrid printer mostly for printing on substrates and cut down on the labor of printing to adhesive vinyl and then mounting to substrate but also to compete with larger qty sign jobs. We currently have a Roland soljet but because of turn around if we got an order for 25+ signs we would most likely outsource. Banners no issues.

I reached out to my local dealer who services my Roland to get his take and in a round about way was told hybrids are junk. The quality isn't there that the inks flake off and it is mostly for indoor pop short term type signs.

My thoughts were to get a hybrid so we can do roll to roll as a back up but focus on substrates and then eventually purchase a wide format cutter again freeing up labor but more so for custom contour cutting of signs.

looking for thoughts on hybrid printers.

AlsEU

Hybrid printers are based usually on r2r models, so printing on rigid substrates is an addition to the roll. Depending on your needs you must choose between hybrid (r2r + flatbed option) and native flatbed with r2r option - if you expect lot of rigid prints, second option will be better (but more expensive). If you want to print on heavier substrates (or glass for example), go into flatbed (hybrid tables are usually quite weak). If you need perfect registration - go into flatbed (substrates are not moving at all during printing). If you want to print on thick substrates (more than 10-15 mm roughly) - go into flatbed. If you print on heavy r2r substrates, go into hybrid.

Flatbed with r2r option seems to be more flexible set, but it's also more expensive. If you have r2r printer, maybe flatbed without r2r could be a solution for limited time (to check, if r2r option is needed). You could match colours from both printers using ICC profiles and have full set and afterwards, if needed, expand the flatbed with r2r option.

Hzone15

Roland Tech Rep

"I reached out to my local dealer who services my Roland to get his take and in a round about way was told hybrids are junk. The quality isn't there that the inks flake off and it is mostly for indoor pop short term type signs."

My take:

Ink flaking has nothing to do with a transport belt or true flatbed for one. Actually the first series of Fuji/Oce True flatbeds had the worst ink around for flaking.

Each flatbed has it's pro's and cons. Hybrid is typically faster and takes less messing around when it comes to the feeding of boards. IE taping off part of the bed etc.

The True flatbed is typically going to be higher quality, and better registration.

Your tech's guys comments are pretty funny considering many larger shops will print with both a true flatbed and a combo.

Roland's LEJ by the way isn't a Hybrid at all its a roll printer that can do very light weight rigid. Combo's can handle heavy thick material unlike the Roland.

Last but not least why would a MFG like CET bother making a true flatbed and a combo just to have one good machine and 1 terrible machine? Vutek combo's "Junk"

I would do a little research before completly deciding against those "Junk" Hybrid/Combo machines.

DougWestwood

Flatbeds & hybrids

Hi There,
I have run several flatbeds and hybrids.

The OCE/FJUI tables are very good. Have done many different materials. They were NOTORIOUS for flaking ink, but have fixed that with the K1 inks.
I have used these with great results. I even printed a sample and put it in the shop freezer for 3 days. Took it out, folded it, and no flakes or even a crease.
Perfect. They have an adhesion promoter liquid which works well, helping to "melt" the ink into the material.

Currently, using a VUTEK hybrid, running very smoothly. This one has white ink, and while it takes more cleaning, we get a lot of white ink work that no other shops will do.

All these machines are expensive to fix. I would also say the FUJI machines are somewhat better than their OCE cousins.
This VUTEK is very good quality, too.

The best thing about flatbeds is they save you HUNDREDS of production hours. Totally worth the prices.
Good Luck!
- Doug
Vancouver