• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thoughts on waterborne paints

inspectorted

I have been experimenting with water based paints on aluminum. Using a direct to metal primer after etching the aluminum works very well. The top coats though don't seem to get very hard after cure. I was wondering if anyone else here has had success spraying water based paints.

visual800

I paint with latex on aluminum all the time and your correct it never feels as though it gets hard as enamel. It will cure out but takes awhile. Best bet it to set it in direct sunlight for a good hot day (if thats possible this time of year)

this will hold vinyl, siliconed letters from gemini, anything. We spray all of our latex. Fyi waterborne is usually referred to as auto paint.

CreatedDesigns

Yes it is required either flat or gloss. for durability and UV protection
since I do custom painting I have a PPG DBC/DCC mixing bank and a PPG Envirobase mixing system. The Enviro has much more vibrant colors than the old solvent systems. Another benefit is the speed and cost of using waterborne. I can dry a coat paint with a hair dryer in under 5min try that with solvent...

And since I'm im from the auto side of custom painting I will have to look into this Mathews brand I here every one talking about. But I do not see an advantage to adding another paint system and computer. On another note I wonder if my PPG Xrite spectrophotometer would work with other paint computers.

haha it seems Mathews is a PPG paint.

TDFcustomSL

Being in the body shop business full time, the only waterbased automotive paint I have sprayed is Lesonal and Sherwin Williams. Sherwin is by far one of the best products I have personally used speaking in solvent and water terms. Everyone has their preference and every single product on the market will have something wrong with it sometime somehow.

CreatedDesigns

You would never catch me saying any thing from Martian senior was best at anything.
sherwin was crap for years so unless they totally revamped their paint lines I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw my guns. Azko makes some of the best paint nowadays mainly the autowave system.