• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thread raveling

Craig Keller

What causes this to do this?

Attachments

• 20220903_122058.jpg
    20220903_122058.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 225

WildWestDesigns

Is that metallic? Either my eyes are getting bad (which is possible) or I could swear I'm seeing some bits in there.

There could be quite a few things. Upper tension, burs, metallic thread is known for fraying even when everything is good to go (which is also for the metallic question). Tension of the spool of thread themselves (sometimes some spots of the spool are tighter compared to others).

WildWestDesigns

Check your upper tension and adjust accordingly. Just for giggles make sure that the pathing is correct, sometimes the thread may bounce out of were it needs to go. May want to change the needle etc. Even if its a new one, sometimes even new ones have burs on them. It sucks, but it happens. How dense is the pattern? This usually affects bird's nesting and at the throat plate, but anything is possible at times.

binki

A few things to try. Try a different spool, maybe a different color on the same needle. If it persists then try a new needle. If it persists then a new bobbin case. If it persists then pull the thread, clean all the paths the thread goes through, rethread and see what happens and at that point if it persists then check the hook or replace it or check the needle and make sure it is seated properly and the eye is straight and the scarf is in the back.

WildWestDesigns

...the eye is straight...
This is a good idea to check,however, check the manual though. My machine's manual specifically say not to be straight on, that you want to have a slight offset. Doesn't matter which side, but to have a slight offset. May not be the case with the OP's machines, but just to be sure to check.

Could also try slowing down as well. That's just a stop gap though to try to get through. If you are running really fast, and the needles are bad or getting bad, that could cause it as well.

As far as lower tension, I would check it first to see if it's holding. Adjust accordingly if it isn't, but do so carefully, once you get the lower tension out of whack via adjustments, it's hell getting it back just right. If it's not holding tension, swap it out.