• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thrive

FrankW

If you have only 2 RIP´s, then it is difficult to share on multiple computers. But, while printing regularly takes much longer time than RIPping, it doesn´t matter if you assign only 1 RIP Engine per Station.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
If you have only 2 RIP´s, then it is difficult to share on multiple computers. But, while printing regularly takes much longer time than RIPping, it doesn´t matter if you assign only 1 RIP Engine per Station.
only downfall with onyx ripping. is the RIP Engine uses the same CPU cores as the main application. So while Ripping, thrive runs slow so you can't actually do other tasks.
We only have 4 RIPS / 2 printer licences, but when ripping 50-100 files at once. the PC is using 4 cores/8 threads, while i have another 12 cores / 24 threads left... onyx uses the same ones the RIP engine uses and it just lags and freezes.

ikarasu

We have 4 printers, so our PC is always ripping and printing.

Half the rips, and the operator is sitting there twice as long ripping stuff before he can hit print and move onto the next printer... by the time he's done with 4 printers he's usually back to the first as well.

Ontop of sometimes were ripping 20 1 GB files.... That would take forever on 1 rip. And honestly, if we had 10 rips... I'd rather all 10 be assigned to the PC we use 99% of the time rather than limit it so you can open the rip on another PC.

The way they implement it doesn't make sense, people should.not.have to trade off performance for convenience... Not in a production world.

I think you'd have a hard time convincing anyone on here that limiting the main apps performance to assign a rip to a secondary computer is worth it... That's why I think the whole thrive upgrade onyx keeps pushing is BS, and not worth it.

billr801

Sorry if I'm on the wrong thread for this, but my question is related. We're also looking for a new RIP. I have been using Thrive for about 4 years on an HP 560. I'm upgrading my computer and so I'm being told by Onyx we can't move Thrive 18 over because they don't support it anymore. Does anyone have experience with Flexi or any other RIPs out there for a single printer shop? I don't need cutting capability built in.

ikarasu

My guess is you can't move.thrive over because you don't have the printer install files.

You can grab your whole onyx folder and copy it to the new computer and it'll run just fine. ... That's the easy way.

Proper way would be to install thrive if you still have your install files, export your printer install files from your old PC and install them into the new one. Then you have a fresh install. For 90% of people, just copying the onyx folder over works good enough though.

Jeppe.Nielsen

Sometimes the Thrive license manager gets «stuck» and the number if available Rip instances gets messed up. Check in license manager that you have selected the correct network license from the correct «server» (the PC owning the license). If there is a network license problem there might be a firewall blockage for port 1947 in the in- and/or out-going connection.

Free up more Rip instances in Thrive RipQueue by editing the number if Rips you use on the other station in «File»->»General Settings»

You can easily save your work (medias and quick sets) and try to do a reinstall if everything is locked up…

Jeppe.Nielsen

Sometimes the Thrive license manager gets «stuck» and the number if available Rip instances gets messed up. Check in license manager that you have selected the correct network license from the correct «server» (the PC owning the license). If there is a network license problem there might be a firewall blockage for port 1947 in the in- and/or out-going connection.

Free up more Rip instances in Thrive RipQueue by editing the number if Rips you use on the other station in «File»->»General Settings».

You can easily save your work (medias and quick sets) and try to do a reinstall if everything is locked up…

mbasch

I haven't used Production House in many year so take this with a grain of salt. We upgraded to Thrive mainly because of the difference in processing with the Jaws RIP (Production House) vs Adobe RIP (Thrive). At the time we changed it made a difference in the reliability of the rip to handle complex files and some goofy over print settings. Don't get me wrong, Jaws is a good rip and is used in a lot of software, we just preferred the Adobe since you get the exact same results if you were to rasterize a file in Photoshop. With Jaws, sometimes we would get different results. The good news for all of us with Jaws is they give Adobe competition and makes software that uses Jaws cheaper since their licensing is less.

ONYXtechtips

Sorry if I'm on the wrong thread for this, but my question is related. We're also looking for a new RIP. I have been using Thrive for about 4 years on an HP 560. I'm upgrading my computer and so I'm being told by Onyx we can't move Thrive 18 over because they don't support it anymore. Does anyone have experience with Flexi or any other RIPs out there for a single printer shop? I don't need cutting capability built in.
Have you looked into ONYX Go?

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician

That doesn't sound right. Do you have your original Thrive 18 install dongle? What was the reason they gave you? I've used Onyx for over 20 years and as long as your operating system is supported, you should be able to install it, you just have to have the install software and hardware key. I've installed my Thrive 19 on 3 different computers and just have to plug in the hardware dongle key to run it on the PC that I am using.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
My guess is you can't move.thrive over because you don't have the printer install files.
Agreed. billr801 - if your old PC is still running, just create a PrnInst file under File-Manage Printers. You should do this as a matter of course anyway, as well as creating OML files and storing them on a flash drive in case of disasters.