• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Time for a new proof sheet - any tips?

Simon Nussbaum

Beautiful Signs for a Better Planet
Hi All,

It's time we put together a new proof form. Wondering if anyone has best practice suggestions now that it's (almost) 2021 or is willing to share what they use for us to copy and paste content. We are thinking a simple CS doc that we save as .jpg or locked .pdfs. Suggestions on software, content or best practices welcome.

ThatGuy

We use illustrator mostly and have proof sheet for different products set up as templates. I have attached a sample. This is sent to the customer in jpeg format. I don't worry about scaled drawings for smaller signs but we do use scale for jobs in need of permitting.

Attachments

• PROOF SHEET SAMPLE_PROOF.jpg
    PROOF SHEET SAMPLE_PROOF.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 595

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Definitely save as jpg if you don’t trust your customers/get a deposit. We send out PDF’s but we also get paid for our work 100% of the time lol

Probably worth using a decent software that has plugins/scripts that you can add dimensions etc on with minimal work.

graphicsottawa

a.k.a. Phaedra
We have a master template set up in InDesign that get copied to every new client file we open via a shell script (that's another story). All of the background stuff like field names is set up on a master page, as is the fill-in info. We have master pages for mock-up and proof stage forms. I set it up this way to leverage linked files. Basically, when there is a design change to the mock-up, I do a new version of the design in Illustrator or Photoshop or whatever, add a page to the InDesign file, and then relink to the new design file. This keeps stuff all in one place and saves a ton of typing.

Simon Nussbaum

We have a master template set up in InDesign that get copied to every new client file we open via a shell script (that's another story). All of the background stuff like field names is set up on a master page, as is the fill-in info. We have master pages for mock-up and proof stage forms. I set it up this way to leverage linked files. Basically, when there is a design change to the mock-up, I do a new version of the design in Illustrator or Photoshop or whatever, add a page to the InDesign file, and then relink to the new design file. This keeps stuff all in one place and saves a ton of typing.
anywhere you can point me to start learning about shell scripts? Probably not for the immediate change but I like that idea.

Simon Nussbaum

We use illustrator mostly and have proof sheet for different products set up as templates. I have attached a sample. This is sent to the customer in jpeg format. I don't worry about scaled drawings for smaller signs but we do use scale for jobs in need of permitting.
Thank you! It's interesting how you put pricing in the template. I think for some job categories that may be a really good idea.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
We use our own proof templates in Flexi. So easy....select the layout, apply template, click Send Email as JPG, and send.

graphicsottawa

a.k.a. Phaedra
anywhere you can point me to start learning about shell scripts? Probably not for the immediate change but I like that idea.
I can't really point to a specific resource. This is stuff I kind of picked up over the years dicking around with computers and trying to make them work how I want them to. Try looking up Powershell for beginners on YouTube though, there's probably something to help you along. If you're blessed enough to be on a Mac (I'm not, sadly) there is a *ton* of automation stuff out there.

Matt Trudeau

We do most of our work in Corel Draw, we have a template set up for drawings that we just insert and boom done. Also use the same for sheets that go into the shop (paint, fabrication, laser, waterjet sheets) I'm looking for an alternative for those since I don't like tons of paper floating around.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Also use the same for sheets that go into the shop (paint, fabrication, laser, waterjet sheets) I'm looking for an alternative for those since I don't like tons of paper floating around.
Are you looking for the drawings to appear on a screen display as opposed to paper hard copies in a job jacket?

Matt Trudeau

Are you looking for the drawings to appear on a screen display as opposed to paper hard copies in a job jacket?

Yes, the dream is to have a tablet or something at every station with a program that can have people mark jobs as in progress or completed. (without that costing lots :D)