• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tips for applying huge printed vinyl?

0igo

i have a long printed vinyl im going to go put in tomorrow. its about 3ft tall x 250in long. im not sure if i should put a line of tape down the middle like i would on cut vinyl or spray crazy amount of water with two drops of soap exactly and spray the whole wall down lol. anyways how would you guys do this?

im going to use a latter its about 6 ft high and ill have someone else there.

signmeup

You can either roll it up and start from one end or hinge it in the middle and do one 10 foot half at a time. What's the wall like? Brick? Marble? Latex paint? Might not want to get it wet depending.

Adrian

Baz

Hopefully you will be two people installing this.

If it's an inside wall with latex or a painted brick surface, i would be tempted to bring a paint roller.
Roll down on the vinyl as your helper removes the backing paper.
I would also place bits of masking tape every 4 feet or so as a guide.

player

If you say 250 inches it sounds much bigger than 20'10" to me. I see that as two 10' sections. Do it either way. A helper would be good, but you can do it on your own. Take your time.

0igo

You can either roll it up and start from one end or hinge it in the middle and do one 10 foot half at a time. What's the wall like? Brick? Marble? Latex paint? Might not want to get it wet depending.

Adrian

its a smooth wall no curves to it. i was thinking about starting in the middle as well. pretty sure ill go for that. thank you.

Andy D

Just put these instructions together, hopefully it all makes sense.

(jpg got compressed like crazy when uploading so pdf is attached as well)

Here is the tool referred to in the instructions: https://www.google.ca/search?q=olfa...1_bAX4&biw=1920&bih=902#imgrc=ZbS7PYFbP8RhFM:

If you don't have one, I highly suggest getting a couple! Great tool to have for safely cutting only the backing paper. :thumb:

NICE! Thanks! I have never done vinyl install this way, I'll have to try it.
The Olfa top sheet cutter is that precise? You can get a good clean cut on the backing without cutting into the vinyl?
I bet it's a must have when setting up lamination, huh?

0igo

Just put these instructions together, hopefully it all makes sense.

(jpg got compressed like crazy when uploading so pdf is attached as well)

Here is the tool referred to in the instructions: https://www.google.ca/search?q=olfa...1_bAX4&biw=1920&bih=902#imgrc=ZbS7PYFbP8RhFM:

If you don't have one, I highly suggest getting a couple! Great tool to have for safely cutting only the backing paper. :thumb:

hey pat thank you so much for this. i did it as the picture said and it was so much easier. thank you.

i would love to read the pdf if you have sometime to re upload this please do so. it doesnt open when i try to open it.

thank you again.

J Hill Designs

hey pat thank you so much for this. i did it as the picture said and it was so much easier. thank you.

i would love to read the pdf if you have sometime to re upload this please do so. it doesnt open when i try to open it.

thank you again.
:thumb:

Attachments

• Installing large wall graphics (Horizontal).pdf
    32.1 KB · Views: 143

0igo

Hey no problem. Glad to hear it helped you out with your install! :thumb:

I know how intimidating those things can be when you show up on site and look at the big panel and the wall and aren't sure how to approach it. Took me a few painfully slow installs to realize this way works the best for me, and I find it allows you to install large panels by yourself without struggling and fighting with a giant panel.

I'm sure there are other techniques out there that work for other people, I just find this way works for me.

Were you able to download the pdf that Jhill uploaded? If not send me a PM with your email and I'll send it over.

yes thank you it worked perfectly. thanks again for this :)

that knife is a life saver, cant believe i went this long without it!