• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Tips for Designing Wrap

Going to be doing my first commercial vehicle wrap on a Mercedes Sprinter. Any tips on designing a wrap? How to make it easier for me, as I'll also be the one installing

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Yes, OUTSOURCE it until you know how to do it. This is an application that is getting murdered by shops that don't know what they are doing. If it was my reputation on the line, I would outsource to a killer design firm and also hire out the installation. (if you have never installed a full wrap before)

Once you have done a handful of them you will have a great idea on how to do it yourself. I just wouldn't risk doing it on your own until you know what to do. I honestly don't mean to offend you at all, just giving my perspective.

I'm fairly confident I can do a wrap as I've done partial wraps before and wrapped object (not vehicles). I also will be practicing on my own car as well. Thanks for the advice!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I'm fairly confident I can do a wrap as I've done partial wraps before and wrapped object (not vehicles). I also will be practicing on my own car as well. Thanks for the advice!

Ok, then you should google car wraps and look at what is visually appealing to you. Some people prefer a really loud design, it really depends on the client and what it is you are advertising for them. What is the wrap subject about? Is it for a certain customer? You can reach out to me privately and we can go over some options to think about. You can email me at jcormany@gansink.com or call me at 714-878-7989, Im Josh.

Ok, then you should google car wraps and look at what is visually appealing to you. Some people prefer a really loud design, it really depends on the client and what it is you are advertising for them. What is the wrap subject about? Is it for a certain customer? You can reach out to me privately and we can go over some options to think about. You can email me at jcormany@gansink.com or call me at 714-878-7989, Im Josh.
Thank you so much! My name is also Josh and I'l' definitely reach out to you. The customer has a pic of what they want the design to be similar to. I can design it I'm just wondering if there's any tips in the designing process that will make it easier when I go to install?

CL Visual

Although it looks really easy, the sprinter is a difficult vehicle to wrap. We print the cargo area horizontally and try to hide the seem in a a color change in the graphic if possible. We assemble the whole side on the table and put up at a big 9' x 14' sheet. This saves us a ton of time. This is a fairly challenging vehicle to wrap, I'd definitely suggest getting some experienced help for this.

Although it looks really easy, the sprinter is a difficult vehicle to wrap. We print the cargo area horizontally and try to hide the seem in a a color change in the graphic if possible. We assemble the whole side on the table and put up at a big 9' x 14' sheet. This saves us a ton of time. This is a fairly challenging vehicle to wrap, I'd definitely suggest getting some experienced help for this.
What makes the Sprinter more difficult?

CL Visual

What makes the Sprinter more difficult?

It's hard to explain but it's just a bitch. We do them all the time so we know all the tricks to getting it right and providing a long lasting installation. The back doors are difficult once you get to the bottom, not a lot of room to work near the bumper. The 10' recess on the sides can pose issues if not done correctly. Personally, I only use Avery 1105 with 1460z lamination on these to avoid any possible issues. Make sure to post heat all recessed about an hour after installation.

It's hard to explain but it's just a *****. We do them all the time so we know all the tricks to getting it right and providing a long lasting installation. The back doors are difficult once you get to the bottom, not a lot of room to work near the bumper. The 10' recess on the sides can pose issues if not done correctly. Personally, I only use Avery 1105 with 1460z lamination on these to avoid any possible issues. Make sure to post heat all recessed about an hour after installation.
What about the sliding door rail? Do you remove that?

Dan360

I wrapped 2 Dodge Promasters recently which are very similar to the Sprinters. I left the slider door rail on and worked around it. Keep in mind that they may affect how your panels line up. Also those indents on the sides can be a pain, there is a good method to doing those where you don't stretch right on the indents but on the flat areas. I believe Arlon has a video on this technique.

ironchef

Use avery wrap material, it's good for beginners. Or 3m 180 if you'd be ok with more tacky film. If you can you up sell to 3m 380 then even better. If you're using solvent outgas for more then 24 hours, if there's alot of ink coverage. Get the right tools especially for the deep recesses.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk