• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Tips for Keeping Dirt off Plastic....

KeithMan

We have become inundated with a few clients that want everything printed on 20 and 30 pt polystyrene. We run it on our Epson S40600 and the results are fantastic. The only real problem is that it attracts lint, dirt and hair like a magnet. We currently take each 4x8 foot sheet and wipe it down with alcohol and then quickly print it trying to make sure no dirt gets on it. With the prints being heavy coverage though we have had several get ruined by a hair or particle of dirt.

What do others do in high production environments to deal with this issue?

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Might try a static guard spray. We used to use it when printing directly to pvc. We also have a wide type of roller that's sticky to run over the sheet. Kind of like a lint roller. Comes with a tear off sticky pad to "renew" the roller with.

CanuckSigns

Can you print directly on styrene with an Epson s40600? I've got an s80600 and never considered this. We print on a cheap matte vinyl and apply with our rolls roller.

Are these standard sheets of styrene or some kind of roll stock made for printing?

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I've seen two versions. One just rinses under water, the other used a pad of adhesive paper which you roll it onto and the debris gets transferred to it.

KeithMan

Can you print directly on styrene with an Epson s40600? I've got an s80600 and never considered this. We print on a cheap matte vinyl and apply with our rolls roller.

Are these standard sheets of styrene or some kind of roll stock made for printing?

Yes. We occasionally print on .030 styrene, but it is kind of a pain in the rear. We mostly use .020 from Grimco and it runs great. The print is durable and it looks great. You do have to make sure it doesn't come off the paper sensor since it is so rigid. I put a sheet of paper over it to trick it.

Our clients use them in sign holders and like the fact they can be rolled up yet are semi-rigid, water proof and easily cleaned.

I would give it a quick wipe down with alcohol, as some of the plastic seems to have a chemical residue on it that will cause strange patterns in your prints. Plasticizers???