• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

TOTAL FAIL after cleaning / soaking heads

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber
This went nowhere but down. Started out when I noticed the colors starting to mix on a test print. (should have ignored it) So I did a cleaning with minor improvement but the black and cyan were still mixing. On to a head soak and then disaster. Black was printing less, cyan comming out of both sides.
I could see cyan in the black ink line so I thought that the black head might be clogged. Did an overnight soak. Then the black stopped totaly- only cyan from both sides of the head. Tried printing some black squares out and had no hint of black in them.

On to changing parts, new damper and captops. Sucked black into the new damper with syringe. After a few test prints I only had 10% of the black nozzels firing and beginning to turn to cyan again. Another overnight soak with no results.
Next suggestion, swap the ribbon cables to see if the black head fires....my biggest mistake. I did 2 things that may have been wrong.

1. I swapped the cables at the head. I think maybe they should have been changed on the upper cicut board. (swapping the two seperate heads not just colors on one head)

2. I shut the main power off but forgot to unplug the cord. Don't know if this did anything.

When I fired it up I got a message that said "Temp too low" and could not do anything.
So I put the ribbon cables back the way they were and the message went away.

Now the results are that the Black/cyan head stopped working altogether! NO black NO cyan. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Time to throw in the towel and drag the tech up to the boonies (over $100 just to the door) ....this is going to be the most expensive cleaning EVER!

On the bright side my Mag/ Yell head is working perfectly after over 40 test prints and who knows how many cleanings....I should go back to brushes.

Oh I forgot , its a Roland SP300 if it matters

Speedsterbeast

Most likely blew the F1 or F2 fuses on the main circuit board. Just went through this. Try jumping the fuses and printing again. Also make sure the ribbon cables are plugged square into the heads and board before firing up the printer again

Andy D

Most likely blew the F1 or F2 fuses on the main circuit board. Just went through this. Try jumping the fuses and printing again. Also make sure the ribbon cables are plugged square into the heads and board before firing up the printer again

Agreed, if you have 0% of nozzles firing, it's not the heads, it's electrical.
I don't know Roland printers, but this is the case for every other printer I have worked on.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
2. I shut the main power off but forgot to unplug the cord. Don't know if this did anything.

You definitely blew the fuse. The good news is that they are fairly easy to replace. If you don't have the proper soldering skills, you can usually find someone to do it for you. We bring them to the local music equipment repair shop. They have a guy who works on amps etc. He replaced fuses for us for cheap!

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber
You definitely blew the fuse. The good news is that they are fairly easy to replace. If you don't have the proper soldering skills, you can usually find someone to do it for you. We bring them to the local music equipment repair shop. They have a guy who works on amps etc. He replaced fuses for us for cheap!

OK, thanks Guys. After a lot of searching I found the fuse. ( they don't look like any fuse I've ever seen) yes it was blown. ordered 4 new ones with some other misc parts. I will change it as soon as i get them. Then I'll be back to whare I started....only about 10% of my black nozzels firing.
But it has to be clogged, and if its clogged it can be flushed somehow. someone mentioned an ultrasonic bath overnight...thatmight be my next move.

Thanks Again everyone!

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber
Ouchh, buy a mimaki lol, had my cjv30 for over 4 years with only having to replace one damper.

This machine is over 10 years old and the only major thing I've done is one head replacement. Everything that has gone wrong this time has been MY OWN fault. I think that I may have used the wrong solvent to soak the heads and damaged the captops wich caused the head to dry out. Then by messing with it I blew the fuse. I should know better, I was a heavy equipment tech for 25 years... as usual, haste makes waste! :banghead:

Speedsterbeast

Just ALWAYS make sure those ribbon cables are good and secure when playing with the heads with the power on. That is most likely the reason for the blown fuses.