• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tracking a WIP

Just out of curiosity, how does your production manager track orders? We use Corebridge and I find it extremely cumbersome for tracking orders in our WIP. Because everything is broken down into parts, it will not generate reports sorted by production stages ( Export/Printing, laminate/cutting, weed/mask/apply, cut substrate or paint, finish/grommet/drill/label, QC). The statuses are generalize: Estimate, Order, Design, Approval, In Process, QC. So if the production manager or sales dept. wanted to find out what stage their order was in, they would have to come ask me. We tried to use the substatus drop down menu but that required an enormous amount of time to administer and no one was willing click on the drop down to look at it. They would end up coming to me and asking, "when will my job be ready". With that I would have to stop what I'm doing to track down the answer. I am already stretched beyond belief with producing the parts for assembly, let alone labelling EACH part in 5 different tracking locations. I'm at my wit's end.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
We use Corebridge and I find it extremely cumbersome for tracking orders in our WIP.
If you can post a screenshot of their WIP list, I can point to some areas of concern which could use their attention. Then, you can tell me if the software can accommodate modifications.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I've just looked at how CoreBridge implements their WIP Queue. The layout lacks individual columns for key production departments, which only 3-4 are typically necessary in sign shops; Art or Design, Prep or Print, Fabricate, Finish. Of course, there are variations of the theme and more should easily be possible.

As a start, try to learn if an admin can create more (2~3) columns to be used as general departments and not so many "functions" as the single column is currently used via its dropdown options. Sub-statuses are altogether unnecessary. Only four functions are typically required for status.

I've just looked at how CoreBridge implements their WIP Queue. The layout lacks individual columns for key production departments, which only 3-4 are typically necessary in sign shops; Art or Design, Prep or Print, Fabricate, Finish. Of course, there are variations of the theme and more should easily be possible.

As a start, try to learn if an admin can create more (2~3) columns to be used as general departments and not so many "functions" as the single column is currently used via its dropdown options. Sub-statuses are altogether unnecessary. Only four functions are typically required for status.
Thanks, will check out. Also I've been told that a new and improved (?lol) version will be released. We shall see, so for now, will hobble along.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Also I've been told that a new and improved (?lol) version will be released.
The "new and improved" using Monday-dot-com-like-system was due well over a year ago.

Thanks, will check out.
Also keep your eye on FileMaker Pro by Claris, soon to re-named just "Claris Pro." A free version for use by a single individual will be available very soon if it is not already. It's possible to create a very functional work-in-progress board made from scratch in 20 minutes.

rjssigns

Just out of curiosity, how does your production manager track orders? We use Corebridge and I find it extremely cumbersome for tracking orders in our WIP. Because everything is broken down into parts, it will not generate reports sorted by production stages ( Export/Printing, laminate/cutting, weed/mask/apply, cut substrate or paint, finish/grommet/drill/label, QC). The statuses are generalize: Estimate, Order, Design, Approval, In Process, QC. So if the production manager or sales dept. wanted to find out what stage their order was in, they would have to come ask me. We tried to use the substatus drop down menu but that required an enormous amount of time to administer and no one was willing click on the drop down to look at it. They would end up coming to me and asking, "when will my job be ready". With that I would have to stop what I'm doing to track down the answer. I am already stretched beyond belief with producing the parts for assembly, let alone labelling EACH part in 5 different tracking locations. I'm at my wit's end.
..."and no one was willing to click on the drop down menu and look at it." There's a huge part of your problem. You could have the bet software in the world but it's worthless if the workers won't use it.

Might be time for you to have the "talk" with them.

BTW the last fab shop I worked was all paper. There was a WIP stores area where parts were signed out. That packet traveled to the assembly area for that job and was placed on a leader board. That leader board also contained a sign off sheet. As a process was completed it was signed off by the person responsible. Stupid simple and out there for all the world to see.

The "new and improved" using Monday-dot-com-like-system was due well over a year ago.

Also keep your eye on FileMaker Pro by Claris, soon to re-named just "Claris Pro." A free version for use by a single individual will be available very soon if it is not already. It's possible to create a very functional work-in-progress board made from scratch in 20 minutes.
:) thanks!

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Is this a free trial of a new version or it's actually free to use on an ongoing basis?
Free to use on an ongoing basis but as a single user only. If and when you need to collaborate or network, that's when they want you sign-up as a subscription for X amount of seats. Nobody really knows how their marketing and sales strategy will pan out, and mostly, they don't even have a clue. I suppose it's a sort of grand experiment.