• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Training?

MAB SIGNS

Are there any books on routing that will discuss how to route certain substrates and ti[ps n tricks to help avoid trashing your inventory when you first start out operating a router? We have a Sabre 408. I don't run the router but thought it would be some good knowledge to read up on.

Mark

ernie

I don't know about books on routing, but cutting tool speeds and feeds info can be found http://onsrud.com

A google search for CNC routing will turn up some interesting sites.

ernie

openwood

training

Mark

Training was hard to come by for me also.If you have a 408 that runs artpath,it does come with a simple training lesson that takes you step by step on how to use all the milling options.the lesson is also contained in the artpath manual.It does not use alot of material.I did to do it myself but it looks like it shows you all the basics.When we purchased the table in 2000,they sent a tech to assemble and set it up and provided 2 days of training, Anything above and beyond that be ready to shell out big $$$.I noticed some ADA signage in the gerber sabre table brouchure and called about having someone come out and show me how it was done.no problem I was told but it would be $400 a day to send someone.I did figure it out on my own and that is how I have learned most of what I know.My best advice is learn as much as you can from the operator that you have now.
I also here that jay cooks sign school in vermont is very good.
This is one of the reasons signs 101 excited me so much finally being able to talk to people that have expeirence with cnc and routing.
Brian

MAB SIGNS

From what I've learned so far, speed and how many passes are essential to good routing without error. We just replaced the gaskets and filter on our table and need to determine the most cost effective router bit pricing. Anyone used Hartlauer Bits? Heard they were reasonably priced and good quality.

openwood

Router Bits

Feeds and speeds are important,but bit selection on certain materials is also important.I use Amana and Freud Bits most of the time.I try to stay away from the gerber bits.Very Expensive.But they are the only ones i know of that make a 1/16" sprial bit and a 1/4" with a 2 1/4" LOC.Let me know if you find a supplier that sells unusual bits like that.A Good quality bit is worth the money,It lasts longer and cuts cleaner.Those two brands have worked well for me.My supplier also gives me a modest discount.I am also stuck buying auto carve bits from gerber,wish I have another source for bits that were as accurate and not 60 bucks apeice.

Brian

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I don't have a router but I've owned a couple of milling machines. I had very good luck, service, product selection and prices with a machine tool supply company named MSC Industrial Supply. They have a huge operation and a searchable catalog online at

MSC Industrial Supply

I do know they have lots of items for CNC owners. They just aren't in the sign supply business.

ernie

Talking about Cutters ...V-cutting is always a pain.

As far as I know the Gerber software makes multiple passes with the V-cutter. So they only sell small V-cutters. Other software just leaves uncut areas in the center of the biggest letters.

The large cutters will allow me to cut incised letters without being required to handcarve the roof profiles in the middle of the wide spots.

When complaining to Rams3D about the small Gerber V-cutters they said that they stock extra wide V-cutters (2.25") with replaceable blades and interchangable arbors. I just bought a couple, 150 and 130 degree cutters.

You can contact them at dearmond@arn.net (801)381-8898 or
www.rams3d.com.

ernie

Mike

I use Hartlauer bits they make 1/4'' bits with a 2-1/4'' cut length the number is 52-282

ernie

Ernie's wife Diane here. When we are trying something new on our router we will route some of the blue foam insulation you get at the lumber yard. It is cheap and routes nicely. No sense wasting some expensive HDU!. You can flip it over and use the other side or reuse both sides.

Diane

dennis j

Diane,

I have burned up a lot of blue & pink foam also. The blue foam that I get has a thin plastic over it I usually pull it off, get better results that way.

Neato, what do you mean we are just outside of Skunk Hollow how much more city could a person want. :biggrin: