• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trouble getting good solid color when printing on clear for lit faces

SignPros

I'm printing with a 1624 and the profiles set up and loaded by the Mutoh tech when he set up the printer. We generally print on IJ-35C and get good results. We're having problems printing onto General Formulations clear vinyl for use on polycarb for lit faces. There is no profile specifically for that material, so we've tried using the IJ35 profile, and it looks great when it's printed and laying on the table or on the panel, but all the color wash out badly when the face lights. We've been doubling the saturation, and have tried upping the 'vividness', but they're still washing out when they light. I know that some washing is part of it lighting up, but it just seems to really wash out. I've called my supplier for the vinyl, and since they don't sell the Mutoh printer, they don't have any profiles or suggestions. Any ideas?

Thanks ahead of time.

shoresigns

Doubling the saturation etc. in the file or in your RIP won't cut it. The profile still limits the amount of ink you can print in one strike. Set your RIP to double-strike (or double overprint, etc.) and it will do a double-density print.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Just know that most double-struck prints look dark (oversaturated) during the day but really nice at night.

The old school method was to print on clear and install it on the plex, then, using a light table install a translucent print over the top. Both layers of ink come into play when lit but you can't see the lower layer during the day.