• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Troubles with CG 160-FX

BBurnett

First time posting here so this is my hello as well as my cry for help

I have been working as the "temporary" graphic artist for my company for a little over a year now and have been learning to properly use our Mimaki equipment, both our JV33 and our CG 160.

Now that my intro is out of the way I'll let you know what I have encountered lately and see if anyone has some thoughts on what may be causing it and how to fix it, if it can be fixed...

About a week ago our plotter began to have difficulty cutting through our vinyl properly, it would cut partway but leave sections of a letter uncut here or there. I played around and realized that a setting in FineCut had been changed so I switched it back and didn't think anything of it. Fast forward to the beginning of this week and it has all spiraled downhill. The plotter will now barely scratch almost any media I put in it. I have tried changing the pressure applied to the blade both on the machine setup and through FineCut and I have adjusted the blade height from barely out of the holder to practically touching the vinyl and everything in between all to no avail.

Being more of a technical person I am thinking that the sensor inside the cutting head (or whatever you care to call it) which monitors the pressure has fried but I would like to ask here before I attempt to replace it, as I noticed a lot of helpful information here in browsing in the past.

Thanks in advance!

iceman64

Check your strips, the black ones, there should be two of then.
One feels like a sponge (the back one) and one like rubber (the front one).
If those are damaged, you have to replace them.
If there has been cut with too much pressure or blade depth, it will cut the strip to pieces. The strips act as a counter pressure of the blade.

Good luck