• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trying to improve my vector drawing skills

Custom_Grafx

I am semi happy with this so far. I am trying to improve my vector drawing skills through real practice. This was the closest thing to me on my desk which I thought might be a good place to start challenging myself.

The text "eclipse" and "mints", are not refined yet - I am more interested in critique on the highlights and perspective. I am aiming for something which looks realistic, yet not exactly like a photo. I want it to look like it's a vector drawing, but a nice one. Clean, crisp etc.

Thanks,
CG

Attachments

• eclipse-001.jpg
    eclipse-001.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 72

GoodPeopleFlags

Try taking a photo of an object and redrawing it. I had a class project to do that last year and it improved my drawing skills in Illustrator alot. Practice, practice, practice.

I wouldn't bother trying to redraw text very much because you'll usually be able to find the font or a similar one. But redrawing text is still practice with the tools. You'll make yourself crazy trying to get it perfect.

Here's my project. It was actually a Thick / Thin Technical Drawing project but it was good for practice vector drawing.

Attachments

• ThickThin.jpg
    ThickThin.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 62

Stuckup

I am semi happy with this so far. I am trying to improve my vector drawing skills through real practice. This was the closest thing to me on my desk which I thought might be a good place to start challenging myself.

The text "eclipse" and "mints", are not refined yet - I am more interested in critique on the highlights and perspective. I am aiming for something which looks realistic, yet not exactly like a photo. I want it to look like it's a vector drawing, but a nice one. Clean, crisp etc.

Thanks,
CG

Just take some drugs, be lookin good them

Custom_Grafx

Try taking a photo of an object and redrawing it. I had a class project to do that last year and it improved my drawing skills in Illustrator alot. Practice, practice, practice.

I wouldn't bother trying to redraw text very much because you'll usually be able to find the font or a similar one. But redrawing text is still practice with the tools. You'll make yourself crazy trying to get it perfect.

Here's my project. It was actually a Thick / Thin Technical Drawing project but it was good for practice vector drawing.

Thanks BlueFish, I'll definitely be practicing a lot more. Yours looks really nice. The perspective has been well executed.

I'll keep at it.

vid

To get picky, "50 mints/Sugarfree/12OZ (34g)" looks like it needs a tweak. In Illustrator I'd distort that group of text by nudging the top left corner to the right. And I'd rotate the "Wrigley's" and maybe warp that circle some.

I can't really tell from the JPG, but the stroke around "50 mints/Sugarfree/12OZ (34g)" looks like it's on top of the letters. Anyway, something there is messing with the legibility.​

The consistency of the black shadow edge around the package works to pull that portion closer to the viewer. Same with the shadow below. As it is now, something looks out of place. The shadow seems like more of a hole than a shadow and draws to much attention --- It's like I want to move the package over the dark spot and fit it in like a puzzle piece.

I'd soften the top edge of the package and then work a gradation along the bottom edge to add some dimension. Likewise, I'd soften, lighten and smallen the shadow. By making it smaller, it would also create perspective on a third axis.

And finally, I'd push the highlights and the shadows of the package more. That would create a more dimensional feel.

A couple of tweaks and you're there --- Nice work!

Attachments

• 101Eclipse_A.jpg
    101Eclipse_A.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 101Eclipse_B.jpg
    101Eclipse_B.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 91
Last edited: