• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tunneling issues after cutting 22kt Gold.

Gary1

Hello everyone! Today I had to cut some lettering out of 22 kt Sign Gold, (Quick). I bought a 5 yrd roll by 24". All the lettering had .30" radius inside and outside. Letters ranged from 3" to 8".
Depth of cut was set an tangential blade cutting was performed on a Summa S2 cutter. After pulling about 3' of the roll out, I noticed one place tunneling going straight across the width of
the gold. Now I cut about 4.5 yrds. Then started unweeding. I'd say 15% of the job had tunneling issues in the letters. I painstakingly removed each tunnel by hand and set back in place with
premask and a heat gun to relax the film. Has anyone of you had issues cutting this product? My next attempt will incorporate using an out feed table to keep the material flat at all times. The Summa
has a large platen then the film goes into a basket. But if the product always remains flat, I think that will reduce or eliminate any stress released during cutting.
Product was freshly made last week. Product was the unprintable version. Thanks in advance.

ZipSeb

We have the same issues using the Avery SF100 Chrome. Curious to see what people are doing to get these to cut properly.

zillion29

We have the same issues using the Avery SF100 Chrome. Curious to see what people are doing to get these to cut properly.
Sometimes I wonder why that product even exists given the tunneling. They've literally sold something for 30 years and never once improved it in the slightest.