• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ubantu

RiXaX

I've heard some speak about Ubuntu and something like Kubuntu.
What are the limitations of these systems?
Will FlexiSign and Photoshop and the Microsoft Office stuff work flawlessly with these?
Do they experience upgrades as frequently as Windows and the IOS?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Ubuntu is a linux based open source OS and is very versatile if you know how to use it. However, I don't see any benefit to the sign industry especially because most, if not all, RIP software will not work on Ubuntu. I know for sure that Mutoh, Mimaki and Roland don't make drivers specifically for linux. I'm sure someone smarter than me could figure it out but I think most people would just have Windows running along side Ubuntu to be able to run the windows specific software.

The major benefit of Ubuntu is that it doesn't spy on you like windows and it is not bogged down by bloatware and superfluous features. Anything is better than IOS in my opinion. Bring out your pitchforks!

bannertime

You can try using a program like WINE to run Windows' programs on Linux. Even then, PS, Flexi, and MS Office would not work "flawlessly," if they worked at all. However, there are similar programs like LibreOffice, Inkscape, and I think there is even a Flexi clone for Linux.

Ubuntu and Mint have downloadable self installers on their website. It will allow you to dual boot a computer until you're comfortable enough to make a full switch. Mint and Ubuntu are my two favorite systems, and both are updated frequently. Like VanderJ said, they aren't packed with bloatware nor do they invade your privacy.

You could also try running a virtual machine, with Windows 7,8, or 10 installed, inside Linux, but that's literally pointless.