• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UCJV300 1 White channel goes missing

InkHead

So I'm still having this issue. Channel 7 (white) sometimes still goes completely missing during Test Print. It take multiple Soft, Normal or hard cleans to get it to come back all the way. Could this be a capping station adjustment issue?

Anyone got any docs for the UCJV on how to adjust the way its seals properly?

APCInk

Merchant Member
It’s possible that you might have a negative air leak on channel 7 that’s just minor enough that the machine’s pressure sensors don’t pick up on it, but big enough that ink could be weeping out of the head. Here’s the check I would do for this;

1. Perform a soft or normal clean and then make sure you have a good Test Draw.

2. Perform a Carriage Maint. and push carriage all the way to the maintenance area of the machine.

3. Inspect underside of head to make sure it’s clean

4. Kill power to the machibe (i.e. at the main switch, not the front control panel)

5. Wait and watch underside of head for any drips or weeping ink (about 10 minutes)

The theory here is that if you have a small enough leak, the negative pressure pump will just run more to compensate for it, however when the machine is asleep and the pump is off the small leak will cause a loss of pressure and ink will start leaking from that head. Even a tiny film of ink across a portion of head will be enough to prevent nozzles from firing. Killing power while watching the underside of the head allows you to simulate what may be happening while printer is asleep.

If you do see ink weeping then you probably have one of the following issues:

1. Subtank not seated properly
2. Air-solenoid-Valve has a leak
3. Hole in air lines or poor seal at fittings

We’ve had a bunch of machines have this issue and in most cases have solved it with one or more of the above parts.

Let us know how it goes

-DM

InkHead

It’s possible that you might have a negative air leak on channel 7 that’s just minor enough that the machine’s pressure sensors don’t pick up on it, but big enough that ink could be weeping out of the head. Here’s the check I would do for this;

1. Perform a soft or normal clean and then make sure you have a good Test Draw.

2. Perform a Carriage Maint. and push carriage all the way to the maintenance area of the machine.

3. Inspect underside of head to make sure it’s clean

4. Kill power to the machibe (i.e. at the main switch, not the front control panel)

5. Wait and watch underside of head for any drips or weeping ink (about 10 minutes)

The theory here is that if you have a small enough leak, the negative pressure pump will just run more to compensate for it, however when the machine is asleep and the pump is off the small leak will cause a loss of pressure and ink will start leaking from that head. Even a tiny film of ink across a portion of head will be enough to prevent nozzles from firing. Killing power while watching the underside of the head allows you to simulate what may be happening while printer is asleep.

If you do see ink weeping then you probably have one of the following issues:

1. Subtank not seated properly
2. Air-solenoid-Valve has a leak
3. Hole in air lines or poor seal at fittings

We’ve had a bunch of machines have this issue and in most cases have solved it with one or more of the above parts.

Let us know how it goes

-DM
Thanks for the info and tips. I'll try this in the next couple days and report back. Subtank and head were replaced to try and fix so I'm assuming subtank is probably fine.

Not sure where the other stuff is located but will try to test like you mentioned above

Dasdesignguy

Production Manager/Field Service Tech
What are the positive and negative air pressures right now? Secondly perform and air purge on every channel of H2 until you are sure ink is purging without any bubbles coming out with the ink. Then check your head voltages. Finally check your gap.

InkHead

What are the positive and negative air pressures right now? Secondly perform and air purge on every channel of H2 until you are sure ink is purging without any bubbles coming out with the ink. Then check your head voltages. Finally check your gap.
Dasdesignguy apologies for the late response. I'll check positive and negative air pressure but i've checked it multiple times in the past and made sure they were in range. I think I had to adjust it once or twice in the past while having this issue. maybe that is indicative of the issue if I have to keep adjusting it. I'll check this again. I've also done the air purges. When you say check gap, what do you mean?

I'll try to get to all these checks early next week as I haven't had an opportunity to mess with it yet

InkHead

So I had some time to try and troubleshoot and get the info APCInk and Dasdesignguy were asking about.

I did the Carriage Maintenance and shutoff the machine and watched took note of the head. First I wiped the head slowly with a new rubber wiper so that it was clean. After about 30 secs I started noticing white ink starting to come out the head on the right side. After about 10 mins, it had a good bit develop and you can see in the pic below. I would think the right side if Channel 8 (white) but I'm having problems with Channel 7 (white). Not sure if this makes sense to me. After about 10 minutes, I wiped the head again but this time it did not form anymore ink on the head.

I also checked Negative and Positive Pressures. Negative was in range at -2.80. Positive was high at around ~23.20. I was able to get it back down to ~18.60 which I believe is within spec. I have had to adjust the positive pressure a few times in the past. Also the valve for the positive pressure is very sensitive. Sometimes just touching the dial throws it out of spec and just a slight turn makes the pressure go way up or down. It takes a bit of time to get it within the spec range. Not sure if this is normal or if this is part of the problem.

APCInk If it is one of these things, should I replace?

1. Subtank not seated properly (Subtank was replaced when I started having this problem as well as the head so I think I can rule out the Subtank)
2. Air-solenoid-Valve has a leak (I'm not sure where this is located. Is it under the ink bottles when the back is off? Should I replace this? Do you have a part number?)
3. Hole in air lines or poor seal at fittings (Can you let me know where these are located and if I should just replace them? Part numbers would be helpful)

Also Air Purge has been done multiple times on Head 2. We have replaced the head, subtank and even the channel 7 tubing that runs from the ink bottle to the head. Thanks!

Here are the images of the head and Negative/Positive pressure readings

InkHead

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. The white channel is completely gone each morning now. The whole channel 7 doesn't even print 1 nozzle line until I do multiple cleans (Mixture of hard, soft, normal) and then they all come back nice and clean.

What should I throw at it next to replace?

InkHead

You should figure out where the leak is before replacing anything. Or is the head bad.
Head was replaced because of this issue right before warranty ended. Seemed to work fine for about 1 week and then back to the same problems.

Captop was replaced as well as subtank. I replaced the ink tube for this channel from the bottle to the head as well. So i'm not sure where else a leak would be? APCInk mentioned Air-solenoid-Valve as a potential issue or hole in air lines? I'm not sure where these are located so I'm not sure where to start to troubleshoot those potential issues

InkHead

Question... If you are in maintenance mode where the carriage is out of the station and you take your cleaning solution and put a couple drops of it in the cap, should it drain down or remain in the cap? I tried this today and the cap for the CMYK head retained the cleaning solution but the cap for CLCLWW drained right away. Just an observation I made and I'm not sure if that is related to anything or means something