• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question UCJV300 white ink cracking

Loretta

I recently purchased a UCJV300 for the purpose of being able to print white ink. I have been very disappointed so far. Printing other colors has been fine, but when I do a layered print with white, it cracks on application. We have used the "approved vinyl" to make sure that isn't the issue. I had the tech here yesterday and he agrees that the white is not as conformable for some reason. They are looking into whether it may be a bad batch of ink. Waiting on the results of their investigation. The ink literally flakes off of the media if it has any type of bend in the media. Anyone else had this type of issue?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I recently purchased a UCJV300 for the purpose of being able to print white ink. I have been very disappointed so far. Printing other colors has been fine, but when I do a layered print with white, it cracks on application. We have used the "approved vinyl" to make sure that isn't the issue. I had the tech here yesterday and he agrees that the white is not as conformable for some reason. They are looking into whether it may be a bad batch of ink. Waiting on the results of their investigation. The ink literally flakes off of the media if it has any type of bend in the media. Anyone else had this type of issue?

Can't say that I have seen this happen on our demo unit. Did the tech mention anything about ink curing? I am thinking maybe the lamps need to be adjusted so that the ink cures properly.

Loretta

Can't say that I have seen this happen on our demo unit. Did the tech mention anything about ink curing? I am thinking maybe the lamps need to be adjusted so that the ink cures properly.
No he didn't mention anything like that. But I will mention it to him as a possibility. Thanks.

Loretta

What ink types are you using? LUS170 or LUS200. What application are you seeing the cracks on? Number of layers and profile pass count?
I'm using the LUS200, applying to a window, 2 layers or more and 12 pass up to 16 pass have both been tried. The first time, my installer was applying to a window and the print kinked slightly when removing the backing causing it to crack and flake. Second time was being installed onto a window. Was on an interior window so temp not an issue. The print was slightly oversized, she pressed the vinyl into the edge to prep for trimming and it cracked then as well. We have printed with just color and have stretched the vinyl and no issues. Add a white layer and then the issues begin. I had printed several test pieces and one piece got stuck to our table slightly, I pulled it up and the ink cracked and flaked throughout the entire print, did the same thing with a print with no white and purposely applied it to the table, ripped it up and stuck it back on several times with no issue. So definitely something to do with the white ink.

L.D

I would send Mimaki the file you are printing with the same conditions and let them test it on one of there demo units. Could be a bad batch of ink. What’s the environmental temp and RH in your shop where the ink and printer are stored?

Also, did you shake the white ink bottle before installing it?

Loretta

I would send Mimaki the file you are printing with the same conditions and let them test it on one of there demo units. Could be a bad batch of ink. What’s the environmental temp and RH in your shop where the ink and printer are stored?

Also, did you shake the white ink bottle before installing it?
It happens with any file that has white ink. Temperature is 68 degrees and 35% humidity. The white bottles were shook before install by the tech when he set up my machine (I just bought it and the white has been a problem from the start) and I shake it whenever the machine says to do so now. Apparently Mimaki in Toronto has now had the white ink crack, but don't know why. I am waiting for a reply. Hoping they send new ink right away to see if the batch is maybe an issue. Do you have the same machine?

L.D

Have you tried increasing the UV lamp power or decreasing the density to maybe 50/50 to test.
Sounds like an ink issue though.

I work for a Mimaki dealer in the US and I’ve installed many of these machines and never had an issue with white ink.

Loretta

This is my first UV printer and have no idea how to decrease density or change the lamp power. Didn't even know it could be done lol. I will mention it to the tech and see if he can walk me through it. Apparently I am an anomaly and this is the first complaint they have had of white ink cracking in Canada. However, now the Mimaki dealer in Toronto has had it happen on one of their machines. Not sure if they have the same batch of ink or not. Has been very frustrating. When the tech was here last, he took several samples of my prints to give to Mimaki to investigate.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The Mimaki lamps don't have an adjustment for intensity just position. Your humidity is right at the bottom end of the machine's spec. Maybe that has something to do with it. Possibly just a bad ink batch though.

L.D

VanderJ is right. You can’t adjust the UV irradiation on the UCJV via RasterLink “UV Mode”. Had my machines mixed up.

Eric Butler

We have a UJF3042 Hg and were told that we would need to switch from the LH100 inks to the LH120 flexible inks. The cure on the white layer makes it rigid. This is because of the titanium in the white.